broccoli, rice and cheese casserole

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG
shocked2.gif
I didn't realize there were so many variations on this dish.

My (now ex wife) had a recipe that we used all the time. For the life of me I can't find it online, but there are so many others to choose from. I'm not going to call her for the recipe, so I guess I just need to choose one.

I remember it called for uncooked minute rice, cream of mushroom soup, and frozen broccoli. I find all these in the recipe, but some want you to cook the rice, others want you to cook the broccoli, I'm not sure how much milk to mix with the cream of mushroom soup to make sure the rice expands (if I leave it uncooked) plus I'm not sure if I need to use 2 cans of mushroom soup.

What a pain in the butt, I guess I'll just wing it and see what happens. I'm making if for a pot luck, so if it doens't turn out I'll just stop by wal mart and get something. (lol)

Just pick one
wink.gif

Let me look through my wife's recipes...

Broccoli and Rice Casserole

Pre-heat oven to 350

2 boxes frozen, chopped broccoli, cooked and drained according to box instruction.

1c of uncooked minute rice
2T butter
1 small onion, chopped (she buys frozen onion bits to save time)
1/2c milk
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 c cheese whiz

Mix all ingredients together, and pour into a covered baking dish.

Bake @350 for 35 minutes.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
I would lose the cream of xxx soups altogether.

Those are verbotten in our house. If you have to resort to "cream of gak" soup to make a dish, just eat rice or something.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: benjamming
I would lose the cream of xxx soups altogether.

Those are verbotten in our house. If you have to resort to "cream of gak" soup to make a dish, just eat rice or something.

I used 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup. Add character to it. LOL. It's in the oven now.

Will see how it turned out.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
You ragged on the canned soup.

Maybe I need a definition of "hobby chef". When I cook or mostly the other 1/2 cooks, we make a worthy dish. But she is not a hobby chef. My wife can cook just about every kind of food except maybe German/Central Europe/Russian (just no interest) Not always 100% organic, but not Na laden packaged [censored] either. We eat a lot of Asian/South American/Italian/Moroccan chow.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
A couple chicken breast under that mixture sure would be tasty.

Wife just looked at the recipe and said the same thing. :)
Looks really good.

Maybe I need a definition of "hobby chef". When I cook or mostly the other 1/2 cooks, we make a worthy dish. But she is not a hobby chef. My wife can cook just about every kind of food except maybe German/Central Europe/Russian (just no interest) Not always 100% organic, but not Na laden packaged [censored] either. We eat a lot of Asian/South American/Italian/Moroccan chow.

If you don't get paid for what you're doing, then it's a hobby. Nothing wrong with a hobby. People are frequently more passionate about their hobbies than about their jay oh bee. Ideally, one would make his hobby, in which one is actually skilled, his profession, but sweating in a kitchen 16 hours a day, yelling at the lackeys sounds more like tedium than fun to me. I don't have what it takes and I don't mind. I'll gladly say "I cook" or "I'm the chef in my kitchen," but yeah, I'm a hobby chef and that's just how I like it.

That reminds me of an issue that's actually come up many times in the past and just this morning once again. I was checking up on my friend's car to make sure everything was okay after the Sea Foam and dead battery debacle (It's explained in another thread and it's hilarious). Another guy shows up and asks me "Are you a mechanic?" Now, in the past I've said "No," because I am not a professional mechanic. That usually provoked responses like "Don't break anything then!" These days I just say "I'm a cook."
grin2.gif

If you don't get paid for what you're doing, then it's a hobby. Nothing wrong with a hobby. People are frequently more passionate about their hobbies than about their jay oh bee. Ideally, one would make his hobby, in which one is actually skilled, his profession, but sweating in a kitchen 16 hours a day, yelling at the lackeys sounds more like tedium than fun to me. I don't have what it takes and I don't mind. I'll gladly say "I cook" or "I'm the chef in my kitchen," but yeah, I'm a hobby chef and that's just how I like it.

Point taken...but a hobby sorta implies you do it for fun. I guess I need to pay my wife more so she can really hate her jay-oh-bee
blush.gif

Now I'm off to find a thread about Sea Foam and a dead battery. You have been pretty funny lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back