Bringing Oil to Full Operating Temperature

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I do a lot of short trip driving. Most trips are less than three miles, and the engine, much less the oil, doesn't come up to full operating temperature.

About every two-three weeks I take a long highway drive, about 30 miles or so, with the intent of bringing everything up to full operating temp and driving off water and contaminants from the oil. My car doesn't have a real temp gauge, so I'm only guessing that this is adequate for the purpose.

The vehicle in question is a 2011 Camry 4-cylinder. Oil right now is Edge EP.

Any thoughts on how far, how long, or how often I should drive to accomplish the task? Thanks!

Last edited:
When I had an oil temp gauge, oil temp lagged water temp by about ten minutes. So, at 15 minutes driving, oil was at temp. Guessing that your car is similar, your 30 mile drive keeps it at temp for roughly another 15 minutes.

I would go by time vs. miles, though, so if your drive is longer, you’re good. 30 minutes would be my minimum to accomplish your objective.

Incidentally, it’s also good to do that drive to keep the battery charged up.

Drive longer, more often.

Here is another thread on the same subject.

Shift down one gear on the highway. More revs = more heat.
Good point. As it happens, the road I often drive has a few long, gentle uphill stretches, and I drive those in 5th gear rather than 6th. Brings the revs up a bit and lessens the bearing load somewhat. Around town I drive in 3rd or 4th.

When I had an oil temp gauge, oil temp lagged water temp by about ten minutes. So, at 15 minutes driving, oil was at temp. Guessing that your car is similar, your 30 mile drive keeps it at temp for roughly another 15 minutes.

I would go by time vs. miles, though, so if your drive is longer, you’re good. 30 minutes would be my minimum to accomplish your objective.

Incidentally, it’s also good to do that drive to keep the battery charged up.
This. My dad's Tacoma is short tripped too. He got it in November 2011 with 23k miles, in February 2021 it just crossed 70k miles. I try my best to borrow it once a month and drive 80-120 miles between errands just to keep moisture out and batteries charged. OEM Toyota Battery from 2009 finally died last month. Oil is always 0w-20, as I am afraid anything more viscous will take even more time to heat up and get flowing good. Around town I drive in "4" and switch to "D" on highway.
2009 Toyota Tacoma, 2.7L 4-cyl, 2wd SR5 Access cab.

Drive longer, more often.

Here is another thread on the same subject.

I'm familiar with that thread ... this is slightly different. Thanks!

[...] OEM Toyota Battery from 2009 finally died last month. Oil is always 0w-20, as I am afraid anything more viscous will take even more time to heat up and get flowing good.

I have to smile. Still have the original battery in my car which was built in 2010. I want to see how far I can take it.

More often than what? You don't know how often I change the oil. FWIW, I'm using a 5,000mi/1 year OCI with an oil that's rated for 20,000 miles. I feel very comfortable with that.
"Any thoughts on how far, how long, or how often I should drive to accomplish the task? Thanks!" If you actually felt comfortable, then why wonder if you need to drive more because the oil is rated for 20,000 miles, no??

"Any thoughts on how far, how long, or how often I should drive to accomplish the task? Thanks!" If you actually felt comfortable, then why wonder if you need to drive more because the oil is rated for 20,000 miles, no??
No ... my question was to get an idea as to how long/far I might need to drive to reach full operating temp. Since I make long drives every now and then with the express purpose of bringing the oil to full operating temp, and the car has no temp gauge, I was wondering if I'm driving far enough or long enough to accomplish my goal.

More often than what? You don't know how often I change the oil. FWIW, I'm using a 5,000mi/1 year OCI with an oil that's rated for 20,000 miles. I feel very comfortable with that.
....................why are you using a 20k OCI oil but changing it every 5k..........:unsure:

No ... my question was to get an idea as to how long/far I might need to drive to reach full operating temp. Since I make long drives every now and then with the express purpose of bringing the oil to full operating temp, and the car has no temp gauge, I was wondering if I'm driving far enough or long enough to accomplish my goal.
My truck has an oil temp gauge. A 5-10 mile drive in-town is enough to bring it up to operating temp (215-220F) but the vehicle does have a oil cooler/heat exchanger.

I would change the oil more often. There are more important things we need to focus our attention on.
There are many more important things upon which my attention is focused: the woman in my life, my health, my friends, my art, volunteer work, and some teaching, just to name a few. While I have, and have had for a long time, an interest in oil, it is rather low on my list of "important things." However, I do have a curiosity about the subject, so I ask questions. Those questions are to help me better understand the subject. I subscribe to the idea that the more you know the better your luck ... I like to think I'm a lucky guy.

Because it makes me feel good, because I like the design and color of the jug, and because I feel it gives me lots of headroom for the severe service the oil sees. Thanks for asking.

tenor.gif

Back