Bringing back an old favorite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
I had totally forgotten about it as I had it tucked away in the bottom cupboards of the old wall unit that is my "oil shrine", but I've still got 19 quarts of 5w30 Schaeffer Supreme 7000 blend (SL formula) down there. I figure if I don't use it up now, I'll never use it, so I have decided to start using this oil in my wife's 2000 Civic as of her next oil change (in November). I've been running GTX 5w20 for the past couple of years, and a couple of different 5w20s before that, but for most of it's life it's run on a 30wt oil. (the 2000 Civic was the last year where the owner's manual specified 5w30)

I believe I bought this oil in either 2002 or 2003, as this was the oil I was running in my 95 Firebird Formula before I did a few intervals with GC 0w30 and then traded that car for my Corvette in August 2004.

Because it's an SL oil (and has been sitting in my basement for such a long time too) I really wouldn't feel comfortable using it in a new engine under warranty, but the Civic has over 100k on it and it'll probably do very well on this oil.

I remember a time when Schaeffer oil was the darling of this site but it's been kind of forgotten over the last few years. I plan on continuing the same OCI with her car as I've been doing for a while, changing it every six months, in November and in May. Mileage usually ends up being 4-5k. I will most likely continue using the new Motomaster oil filter, this is the Canadian Tire house brand which is now made by a Chinese manufacturer and looks to be a pretty solid piece (based on StevieC's recent thread in the oil filter section where he cut one open) and only costs $4.50 up here (that's pretty much the least expensive oil filter I've found)

Schaeffer is still on my hit parade, but I really don't have an app where I can use it right now - Sienna is driven too little w/ too much consumption (though I might put 4k on it this summer alone), and I'm wanting a 15k oil for my Mazda.

Schaeffer has kind've a hand made feel for me. Engineers who aren't just looking at OTC price pts. Amsoil also comes to mind here in their pursuit of purity. The 7000 was probably the purest of the blends until the SM and other certs pushed the OTCs into the grpII/III area. But with it's grp II+/III, it's arguable that it's still unsurpassed by any OTC blend.

Funny that you mention this. I've just been considering trying a case or two of the stuff myself. I am a tad disappointed that only the 7000 series oils come in the 5w-20 grade -- the 9000 which I'm more attracted to, is not made in any 20 wt that I can see.

Originally Posted By: ericthepig

The 7000 was probably the purest of the blends until the SM and other certs pushed the OTCs into the grpII/III area. But with it's grp II+/III, it's arguable that it's still unsurpassed by any OTC blend.

11.gif

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Funny that you mention this. I've just been considering trying a case or two of the stuff myself. I am a tad disappointed that only the 7000 series oils come in the 5w-20 grade -- the 9000 which I'm more attracted to, is not made in any 20 wt that I can see.

9000 series 5-20 may be on its way...
21.gif

Originally Posted By: ekpolk

Absolutely nothing wrong with the 7000 series oils. They would perform well in all three of your cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back