Bring a Trailer - Hysterical

Folks in the market for an older, 'rare' car seem to have gone off the edge. I can't even believe what people are bidding for a Civic. I get it, it's the most coveted of the Si pedigree, and it's got extremely low mileage, but the current price on this car is lunacy. I scroll through BAT every few days, just for entertainment, but this is the first real jaw-dropper I've come across. My mouth is literally agape. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-honda-civic-30/

Gotta be shills involved
Indeed, not all auctions with bids end in a sale.

A few years back two nuts bid up a pack of folded-up cardboard shotgun shell boxes to many hundreds of dollars. They usually sell for pennies, if they sell at all. A week later it was listed again....

Complete with 4 dried out OEM Michelin tires...

1606955334495.jpg

Assuming this is honest bidding, I wonder if people are looking for simplicity. No turbo, no DI, no CVT, no dual clutch transmission. Just a butter smooth 5 speed transmission, decent ergonomics, good looks and a high revving reliable engine (with an actual engine oil dipstick).

I hope the manufacturers are watching.

This is beyond me. It is hard to understand what is so highly desirable about this particular Civic. You could almost buy two brand new Civics for that much. And they will have all the latest gadgets and safety features.

Is this collectible? If yes, why?

This is beyond me. It is hard to understand what is so highly desirable about this particular Civic. You could almost buy two brand new Civics for that much. And they will have all the latest gadgets and safety features.

8,000 rpm redline. Naturally aspirated. Transmission feel. Lightweight. Simple. Nostalgic. Rare. Hard to find. Fun. Reliable.

8,000 rpm redline. Naturally aspirated. Transmission feel. Lightweight. Simple. Nostalgic. Rare. Hard to find. Fun. Reliable.
The nostalgic part must be a critical part of the mix. Plenty of other cars out there that would be every bit as fun, if not more so, to drive. But for a lot less. A nice S2000 could be had for that price. A super nice Miata.

Assuming this is honest bidding, I wonder if people are looking for simplicity. No turbo, no DI, no CVT, no dual clutch transmission. Just a butter smooth 5 speed transmission, decent ergonomics, good looks and a high revving reliable engine (with an actual engine oil dipstick).

I hope the manufacturers are watching.
I doubt if it will be a daily driver at that price. Doesn't make any sense.

Maybe it's just too many people sitting around with nothing to do due to that which cannot be named and maybe the market will come to its senses after it's over.

Same reason old muscle cars can fetch sky high prices. They’re desirable to the right person.

As for the bidding... when you place a bid on bring a trailer, they put a 5% hold of your bid on your credit card. There is a $250 minimum hold and a $5,000 maximum, helps prevent people from just bidding to jack the price up.

That site is basically just full of overpriced nostalgia cars, but they obviously sell to somebody. Lots of car collectors out there who have money and want cars from their childhood. It seems to be more common the more new cars shift to mind numbing identical appliances with hefty price tags.

Back