Briggs & Stratton SAE 5W-30 Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found this for $5.98:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=pr...&lpage=none

Local Lowes does not have any and I was wondering the specs. Can't find them anywhere. Have no cats wink wink so not concerned about a high level of zinc ZDDP which I am looking for in a oil. Anyone have any info or input?

Oil-Synthetic 32 oz. - 100074
SAE 5W30 Using Synthetic oil offers better wear control of your engine, even under severe operating conditions. Since synthetics have better "inherent strength" they have the ability to keep functioning at the highest level for the longest possible time.

Synthetic Oil gives your engine better viscosity temperature response, better low temperature fluidity, better thermal stability better oxidation stability, lower volatility, better deposit control, and better wear control.

This in return reduces risk of equipment failure, promotes trouble free operation, reduces maintenance costs, extends service life, and long term engine durability.

Briggs & Stratton's best engine oil, warranty certified, for all small 4 cycle engines. The use of this high quality detergent oil assures compliance with Briggs & Stratton warranty requirements regarding the use of appropriate oil.
$14.95

High level of Zinc ZDDP? Laughable at best. This is lowest bidder synthetic, probably similiar to Supertech, at twice the cost. I would go elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
High level of Zinc ZDDP? Laughable at best. This is lowest bidder synthetic, probably similiar to Supertech, at twice the cost. I would go elsewhere.

I wouldn't be so sure. I think it's still rated SL? It's still got all the good stuff in it the EPA made them take out. Yeah, cheap synthetic...but depending on the application, possibly better than the most expensive SM you can find. Briggs doesn't have any cats to worry about and their engines are very much like OLD style automotive engines, thus it probably has the additives best for that type of application.

Some of the very best and robust oils are still SL. The Mobil 1 High Mileage oils are still SL, and I use the 10W30 in my auto and all of my OPE. German Castrol 0W30 was still SL the last time I checked. The Amsoil 10W30/30 small engine oil is still SL.

I have never known anyone to have a ruined cat from using SL. The SM oil just came about because the government mandated that the manufacturers increase the warranty on cats from 80,000 miles to about 125,000 miles. The manufacturers demanded the change in oil because they want no possibility of ever having to pay for a new converter under warranty.

Quoting a Porsche mechanic on another website, "A Porsche engine is a lot more expensive than a catalytic converter."

NE1 seen these bottles at Lowes? If so, what are the specs - SL? Pics of rear bottle would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back