Briggs motor only runs on choke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove the bowl and both jets. Idle circuit is super tiny jet and passage. Very prone to getting stopped up with a single tiny particle.

Whether you clean the carb or replace it, replace the fuel line too. I've seen them disintegrate from the inside while the outside looks fine.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Get a drill kit like this one and find the bit that fits. Then run the next bigger one through your main jet. If you notice an improvement but it's still not great, do it again!

I had to do this to a brand new carb I put on a briggs generator I got at the dump. Sometimes carbs are, well, universal, and don't do well with our lean running E10 gas.

I thought of doing this myself next time. Everything small engine simply runs too lean these days. I notice it every time I try to start something like my leaf blower when it's cold.. it's a balancing act for the first 20 seconds or it stalls. At leastn it has an operator directed choke though. I soon came to hate those auto dumping chokes like my Husquavarna chain saw had.

I believe the primer bulb is old or it has air leak to it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BEETLE
I believe the primer bulb is old or it has air leak to it.

Use a water bottle and spray around the primer bulb to see there is an RPM change. Spray where there are two mating surfaces on intake side.

Last edited:
There is no primer bulb and I sprayed carb clean around everything, all seals are good

Originally Posted by Eddie
Bad carb to engine gasket?

That is what I was thinking , vacuum leak .

If that is not it , I have purchased eBay carbs and have been satisfied .

Originally Posted by Driz

Originally Posted by eljefino
Get a drill kit like this one and find the bit that fits. Then run the next bigger one through your main jet. If you notice an improvement but it's still not great, do it again!

I had to do this to a brand new carb I put on a briggs generator I got at the dump. Sometimes carbs are, well, universal, and don't do well with our lean running E10 gas.

I thought of doing this myself next time. Everything small engine simply runs too lean these days. I notice it every time I try to start something like my leaf blower when it's cold.. it's a balancing act for the first 20 seconds or it stalls. At leastn it has an operator directed choke though. I soon came to hate those auto dumping chokes like my Husquavarna chain saw had.

I drilled a jet a little to far one time and had to add a piece of fine wire through the jet hole (as a little restriction) to fine tune it. Almost wanted to hook up a wide band O2 sensor to get her really dialed in!!! In hind sight, I probably should have just bought a new carb, would have been cheeper when you consider the time spent aspect...lol

Last edited:
I bought a new carb for my Troy-Bilt snow blower that ran only with partial choke. I bought it off EBay from an American based vendor and they shipped a new one out right away that works perfectly. Just because it's "new" doesn't mean it always works unfortunately, especially as cheap as these Chinese carbs are. But overall all I've had good luck with them working correctly right out of the box.

Whimsey

My mid 90s snowblower with a 357 cc tecumseh never ran right so after a couple seasons so I bought a old fashion carb with the adjustable mixture jets on the bottom of the fuel bowl. Able to tune it right and it runs so well. Btw, owned lots of gas powered equipment so the I knew the non adjustable carb was crap.

K well I took the carb apart n drilled the main jet out, it starts up with out starting fluid, and on full choke like normal but still surges anything else I'm missing?

Originally Posted by Cowboy35
K well I took the carb apart n drilled the main jet out, it starts up with out starting fluid, and on full choke like normal but still surges anything else I'm missing?

Yes, replace your "new " carb, even if it "looks" good.. New doesn't equal good, especially with those Chinese replacements.. You shouldn't have to drill anything, all that does is mask the problem and in most cases doesn't solve the issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cowboy35

Sounds like you're getting close. Need to drill the main jet out a size larger till the surging stops. It's all trial and error. You wouldn't have to do this if the main jet had an adjustment screw. Say thanks to EPA/CARB for making up policy in "The Land of The Free And The Brave".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back