Briggs engine using oil

It's a small 3 or 4 hp on a small push mower.

It's started using several ounces of oil per 30 minute or so cut. However much it's using I have to add some every time we use it. The oil is also very dirty and grey looking. I've been using whatever 5W30 I had leftover from oil changes. I think it's probably just toast? Worth replacing anything internally?

High heat and oil at it's saturation point will do this. Drain and fill. Straight 30 or 40wt or 15/40 and see how it does. No name brand oil needed. Get a quart of supertech and let us know. While you are at it clean the airfilter and check the sparkplug. Sharpen the blade to if needed. Happy trails to you.

5w30 (doubly so if it's Dino) isn't really the perfect oil for a mower in a hot climate. I'd try some cheap 15w40 (and maybe even some oil treatment/thick goo like STP) as a first tactic. You can buy a lot of cheap 15w40 for what you'd spend on a new mower...

I only run sae 30 or 15w40 for long life in the georgia heat.
In a healthy mower, that's what I'd run in just about any part of the US, but it sounds like this mower still is consuming a good deal of oil, which is why I'd recommend straight 40, maybe straight 50 if you find it.

5w=30 especially non syn oil can lead to oil consumption. Gert some 20W-50 regular or syn oil and report back

Most times I've seen these engines consume oil is when the old style oil control ring (one piece) breaks partially and scores the bore. No use fixing, run it till it either dies or has lost so much power you cant tolerate it.

Hit up AAP for a quart of Fram Straight 40, or Tractor Supply for a Gallon of Rotella T1 SAE40
The Fram should be quite low ash, might be a better choice keep the exhaust from getting plugged as bad and reduce the amount of deposits that may form on the exhaust valves from high consumption.
1631740651833.jpg

That gray oil the OP mentioned is the cylinder being scrapped away which dooms any magic fixes. However, as others have suggested heavy oil and/or STP or Motor Honey will help about 10% as a guess. Had an old rototiller that limped along on this regimen. With all my air-cooled engines I use two stroke oil at 100/1which seems to lessen the amount aluminum in the drain oil. The tiller was given to me by a neighbor who was sick of tinkering with it.

I have one like that right now that I use to knock down overgrown areas. Fogs the whole area out and I have to add oil every 20 mins or so. I can’t believe it still runs but might as well run it till it literally explodes.

It's a small 3 or 4 hp on a small push mower.

It's started using several ounces of oil per 30 minute or so cut. However much it's using I have to add some every time we use it. The oil is also very dirty and grey looking. I've been using whatever 5W30 I had leftover from oil changes. I think it's probably just toast? Worth replacing anything internally?
I think your oil selection is likely adding to your consumption problem. Use a straight SAE 30 and see what happens. A snowblower is the only thing I would use a 5w-30 oil in.

I have an old briggs 3hp that burns some oil, it was kind of nice the burnt oil drove the bugs away. After running it hard and actually changing the oil now it barely burns any oil.

OP show it some love and buy some new oil that isn't half spent. Even brand new mowers warn you that is you use a multigrade oil it may use some in the heat.

Back