Briggs 344cc oil recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a used 33 inch push mower, with a 10.5hp briggs motor on it. Has 227 hours on it, last owner maintained it well and from what he said he put 10w30 in it. Has no oil filter. Cubcadet told me to put 5w30 synthetic in it but I was going to ask what you guys thought?

Use what ever left over 30 weight oils you have from maintaining your car's. I have been doing that with the family mowers for years, before I cared about oil it was PYB SAE30, I actually noticed it took less gas to mow the lawn after using left over half quart synthetics for the oil and putting mmo in the gas.

Just be watching it, tossing in synthetic might start some cleaning, and with no filter you don't anything knocked loose floating around, so you may need to change the oil sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're going to use it in higher temps, why not save a bunch of time and use a synthetic 5W-40 like Rotella T6 or Delo? I have a B&S Intek, and I've used any 15W-40 hanging around after my truck oil changes. Never a problem starting, fuel economy is very good, and it never bogs or loses power in the heat. If you want to run a thinner oil, you can get G-Oil at ChinaMart in 5W or 10W-30 for OPE. I run the full synthetic in my generator.

Briggs and Stratton generally recommends 5W-30 synthetic as an "any temperature" oil recommendation. Straight 30 is okay for temperatures above 40*F. I've used a number of oils in my small engines, including GC 0W-30, M1 HM 10W-30, various conventional 10W-30s, etc. Anything will work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back