Bridgestone Ecopia + - surprisingly good.

Joined
Mar 27, 2004
Messages
591
Location
Atlanta, GA
So I have not had good experience with prior Bridgestone tires and have always been a fan of Michelin. My certified pre-owned '16 eGolf SE came with brand new Bridgestone Ecopia + tires and I didn't feel the need to negotiate having brand new tires removed and something else put on. I have to say while I am only about 750 miles and 2 months in with these tires they have been beyond fantastic. Extremely quiet, good traction, good water/rain performance and decent handling. The only thing I can really complain about is the sidewall flex at VW recommended pressures - they look like they are half inflated, TPMS is set to normal inflation and have not had any warnings so I know they are inflated properly. Guess we shall see how they wear out over time. They have a 70k tread warranty which I will probably never hit (even during normal times I am only doing 600-800 miles/month) so they will age out before they wear out.
 
Joined
Apr 16, 2016
Messages
1,974
Location
Kansas
My 17 Jetta came with Ecopias from the factory. They got taken off at 2K miles because of they where so out of round. I'm not sure if I would ever put them back on, talk about a waste of money.
 
Joined
Jul 16, 2019
Messages
602
Location
The ATL
Bro in law just had a set refunded under warranty (less than 1000 miles) because they would not balance. He's now on Michelins.
 

JHZR2

Staff member
Joined
Dec 14, 2002
Messages
49,482
Location
New Jersey
We put the ecopia e322 (something like that) on my SILs Corolla ad she was satisfied with them as four season tires. Replaced the set at 50-60k. I've been happy with the Michelin Energy Saver AS tires on my accord hybrid. For vanilla cars I see no reason to avoid tires like these.
 
Joined
Nov 11, 2018
Messages
5,637
Location
Great Lakes
I hope they've improved them, I found them to be borderline useless in the snow. Being in Georgia however, I don't see that being an issue for you.
 
Joined
Apr 6, 2015
Messages
1,383
Location
Upper midwest
Originally Posted by pezzy669
So I have not had good experience with prior Bridgestone tires and have always been a fan of Michelin. My certified pre-owned '16 eGolf SE came with brand new Bridgestone Ecopia + tires and I didn't feel the need to negotiate having brand new tires removed and something else put on. I have to say while I am only about 750 miles and 2 months in with these tires they have been beyond fantastic. Extremely quiet, good traction, good water/rain performance and decent handling. The only thing I can really complain about is the sidewall flex at VW recommended pressures - they look like they are half inflated, TPMS is set to normal inflation and have not had any warnings so I know they are inflated properly. Guess we shall see how they wear out over time. They have a 70k tread warranty which I will probably never hit (even during normal times I am only doing 600-800 miles/month) so they will age out before they wear out.
I pulled these up, I was surprised at the high pressure speced. Must be a heavy car with the batteries. I always go higher then the side door rating that they use for comfort ride for Grandpa. I would they 46-47 psi. You can go as high as 51 psi. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=2016+vw+egolf+recommended+tire+pressure https://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=507 .
 
Joined
Sep 19, 2008
Messages
2,778
Location
Pennsylvania
I put a set of these on my VW Golf Sportwagon last year and love them. Very smooth riding and excellent wet traction. here in central PA, they did quite well on snowy roads last winter. I get about 1 mpg more than i did with the Falkens that came with the car. Those were useless tires and I was glad to take them off and get rid of them.
 
Joined
Oct 31, 2014
Messages
1,232
Location
Pa, USA
I have the Ecopia on my 2017 RAV 4 from the factory. They seem to work fine, but we don't run stuff to the niles either. Our driveway is on a hill, when it snows, we can drive the RAV4 forward up it, but not reverse. Not sure if that the tires, or the design of the vehicle.
 
Joined
Feb 8, 2019
Messages
276
Location
Northern Michigan
Originally Posted by Skippy722
I hope they've improved them, I found them to be borderline useless in the snow. Being in Georgia however, I don't see that being an issue for you.
I agree, I had a set of these Bridgestone Ecopia HL 422 Plus that came on a new 2018 SUV...borderline useless on wet roads, and useless in snow. I can't have that living in norther Michigan. Replaced them last fall with around 23K on them as the tires will well worn anyways, was not going through another winter with these.
 
Joined
Apr 13, 2005
Messages
165
Location
Tn
Pezzy: Do you know if they did roadforce or static balance? I'm pretty sure mine was static after talking to a tech. I am youhad a good experience, but I bought a new set in July 2019 and had a bad experience - in the end it seems like 1+ tires out of round or NG quality. Tires were Ecopia EP422+ and they couldn't get the balanced after 3 attempts on all four. I had to get the manager to ride with me, where he said 'there's definitely a problem' I drive interstate 95%, it drove me mad. After 300 miles they came off. I went with Michelin and haven't had an issue. It sounds cliche - but it's my second set and a flawless experience. They balance well each time, I've about about 3 maintenance rebalances/rotations and 15k since last July. My other car has had 4 rebal/rotations and 20k and no issues outside of road damages. I had a fifth tire for damage and it balanced perfect first time statically.
 

pezzy669

Thread starter
Joined
Mar 27, 2004
Messages
591
Location
Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by aualtima3.5
Pezzy: Do you know if they did roadforce or static balance? I'm pretty sure mine was static after talking to a tech. I am youhad a good experience, but I bought a new set in July 2019 and had a bad experience - in the end it seems like 1+ tires out of round or NG quality. Tires were Ecopia EP422+ and they couldn't get the balanced after 3 attempts on all four. I had to get the manager to ride with me, where he said 'there's definitely a problem' I drive interstate 95%, it drove me mad. After 300 miles they came off. I went with Michelin and haven't had an issue. It sounds cliche - but it's my second set and a flawless experience. They balance well each time, I've about about 3 maintenance rebalances/rotations and 15k since last July. My other car has had 4 rebal/rotations and 20k and no issues outside of road damages. I had a fifth tire for damage and it balanced perfect first time statically.
These were installed by selling dealer (VW dealership) so assuming just static balancing - e-Golf top speed is 85 MPH and I have had it up there and zero vibration to note. Car has aero wheels on it that have just small venting slits so its pretty much impossible to see how much weight they have in there. I think I really lucked out and got a good set - have never really been a fan because prior experiences and reviews seem to be mediocre at best.
 

pezzy669

Thread starter
Joined
Mar 27, 2004
Messages
591
Location
Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by Mainia
I pulled these up, I was surprised at the high pressure speced. Must be a heavy car with the batteries. I always go higher then the side door rating that they use for comfort ride for Grandpa. I would they 46-47 psi. You can go as high as 51 psi. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=2016+vw+egolf+recommended+tire+pressure https://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=507
Yeah the batteries add prob ~400-450 lbs over a typical gasser Golf. Fortunately they are slung down low and pancaked into the floor under the front and rear seats. They give the e-Golf a near 50/50 weight distribution (52/48 F/R is a general guesstimate). Despite the heft this thing handles far better than any of my previous Volkswagens which are typically quite nose heavy and feel it.
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Hmm, an e-Golf in Georgia... cool. Glad you're happy with the tires.
Yeah the CARB state lease return scraps are starting to show up in non-CARB states - my 2016 was a 3 year lease in Connecticut that they picked up new in January 2017 and turned it in right at 3 year mark. I have seen 1 other in the flesh and there is another e-Golf I regularly see in the charging activity at a public charging station I use. Still a very rare breed as I think VW only sold under ~20k of them in the US over their run from 2015-2019.
 
Joined
Jun 17, 2020
Messages
43
Location
VA
I had the Ecopia E422 on my Mazda3 - they were the OEM tires. They're among the worst tires I've ever used and were borderline unusable in the rain. On TireRack, only 50% would recommend it. I switched to the Michelin Premier A/S and that tire was better in pretty much every way.
 
Joined
Jun 11, 2012
Messages
597
Location
Atlantic, Canada
Originally Posted by paqza
I had the Ecopia E422 on my Mazda3 - they were the OEM tires. They're among the worst tires I've ever used and were borderline unusable in the rain. On TireRack, only 50% would recommend it. I switched to the Michelin Premier A/S and that tire was better in pretty much every way.
I did replaced mine on my mazda 3 around, they maybe had 15,000 km on it, they were okay, but kinda bouncy, not super high quality, they wear fast. Im waiting to install 4 Michelin defenders next week.
 
Joined
Jun 12, 2008
Messages
24
Location
PA
Had them on a 2011 Toyota Sienna Van. They were decent tires. OK in rain and light snow. Did not notice any increase in gas mileage from being Eco tires but a Sienna does not get the best gas mileage anyway. Tires wore out in 25K miles, nice and even all the way down to the wear bars however fast tire wear is pretty common with Sienna vans but these wore out slightly faster than most. wb
 
Joined
May 24, 2016
Messages
1,132
Location
Michigan, USA
These are original equipment tires from the factory on my wife's Durango and they seem to be holding up well with regular rotations. They've done well for an all season even in snow. 30k miles on them now, I'd expect another 25k-30k before needing replacement.
 
Joined
Feb 20, 2007
Messages
6,586
Location
Southeast
Sounds like they might do better on heavier cars. I mostly spring for upper-end Bridgestone Tires and rarely ever have any problems with them. I'll occasionally veer out and buy something else, Cooper, Continental, BFG - but largely find they consistently produce a good, reliable, consistently manufactured product, at least in their upper lines. We currently have two sets of potenza 980s and, err, some form of touring tire on my daughters Volvo- in may be that ecopia. All three sets balanced great, and the potenzas are a treat if you're feeling a bit frisky behind the wheel. I do find in general their wet traction in most of their high mileage tires gets bad later in life.
 
Joined
Jun 17, 2020
Messages
43
Location
VA
Quote
oem tires are not the same as aftermarket.
It depends on the tire. Many tires spec'd as OEM are ones you can buy off-the-shelf, especially on cars with high sales volumes like the Mazda3.
 
Top