Breaking up shower pan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to be doing a complete bathroom remodel. I've got a good grip on most of the demolition and removal of old plumbing fixtures and vanity, etc...
BUT that darn concrete shower pan and curb. I'm thinking a 5lb hammer or an air chisel should break it up into managable chunks. Any advice?

The hammer would work. Try and pry it up off the floor, so you can wedge it to undermine it when smashing.

Originally Posted By: Plumber
The hammer would work. Try and pry it up off the floor, so you can wedge it to undermine it when smashing.

Great idea. House was built 30 years ago and I'm hoping that they at least put down some kind of floor liner to protect the wood subfloor. So far from what I found, the builder didn't even use any kid of wonder board for the shower walls. Just tile over gypsum board drywall. Very fast construction when the development neighborhood was going up. With everything I've remodeled in this house in the last 7 years I'm stunned and amazed at the shortcuts taken and shoddy workmanship.

Several times with help, we were able to take the whole base up in one piece and haul it out on a two-wheeler and into the dumpster.

I haven't torn down the shower walls yet, but I'm sure there is some level of water damage to the studs because the tiles on the bottom half or the shower walls are mushy and easy to pry off. I fully expect to have to replace some once I get access to them. Luckily its only a 36 x 36 shower.

I have a friend that will loan me his air chisel. I have a big compressor with I can hook it up to. I figure that 15 minutes with that and it will be busted into easy to remove chunks.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Rent an electric hammer/chisel from HD. Will make short work of it!

+1. Electric demo hammers work great. I used one on my shower demo. Complete removal of the tile, concrete backer and drywall.

Check this out....so my shower used to be a tub. Some douche bag converts it to a shower with a curb and only installs the pvc liner about 1 inch above the floor and doesn't waterproof above that. Old drywall was moldy. Got a little bit into the studs so I soaked them with bleach/water. The curb was full of this white spongy looking fungus [censored]. I completely rebuilt the curb, installed hardie backer, then coated the entire shower in redguard. No need to hot mop with redguard, good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back