Breaking News DC Gun laws structkdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALS

BREAKING NEWS -- Divided three-judge D.C. Circuit panel holds that the District of Columbia's gun control laws violate individuals' Second Amendment rights: You can access today's lengthy D.C. Circuit ruling at this link.
According to the majority opinion, "[T]he phrase 'the right of the people,' when read intratextually and in light of Supreme Court precedent, leads us to conclude that the right in question is individual." The majority opinion sums up its holding on this point as follows:

To summarize, we conclude that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to keep and bear arms. That right existed prior to the formation of the new government under the Constitution and was premised on the private use of arms for activities such as hunting and self-defense, the latter being understood as resistance to either private lawlessness or the depredations of a tyrannical government (or a threat from abroad). In addition, the right to keep and bear arms had the important and salutary civic purpose of helping to preserve the citizen militia. The civic purpose was also a political expedient for the Federalists in the First Congress as it served, in part, to placate their Antifederalist opponents. The individual right facilitated militia service by ensuring that citizens would not be barred from keeping the arms they would need when called forth for militia duty. Despite the importance of the Second Amendment's civic purpose, however, the activities it protects are not limited to militia service, nor is an individual's enjoyment of the right contingent upon his or her continued or intermittent enrollment in the militia.
The majority opinion also rejects the argument that the Second Amendment does not apply to the District of Columbia because it is not a State. And the majority opinion concludes, "Section 7-2507.02, like the bar on carrying a pistol within the home, amounts to a complete prohibition on the lawful use of handguns for self-defense. As such, we hold it unconstitutional."
Senior Circuit Judge Laurence H. Silberman wrote the majority opinion, in which Circuit Judge Thomas B. Griffith joined. Circuit Judge Karen LeCraft Henderson dissented.

Judge Henderson's dissenting opinion makes clear that she would conclude that the Second Amendment does not bestow an individual right based on what she considers to be binding U.S. Supreme Court precedent requiring that result. But her other main point is that the majority's assertion to the contrary constitutes nothing more than dicta because the Second Amendment's protections, whatever they entail, do not extend to the District of Columbia, because it is not a State.

This is a fascinating and groundbreaking ruling that would appear to be a likely candidate for U.S. Supreme Court review if not overturned first by the en banc D.C. Circuit.

Update: "InstaPundit" notes the ruling in this post linking to additional background on the Second Amendment. At "The Volokh Conspiracy," Eugene Volokh has posts titled "Timetable on Supreme Court Review of the Second Amendment Case, and the Presidential Election" and "D.C. Circuit Accepts Individual Rights View of the Second Amendment," while Orin Kerr has a post titled "DC Circuit Strikes Down DC Gun Law Under the 2nd Amendment." And at "The BLT: The Blog of Legal Times," Tony Mauro has a post titled "D.C. Circuit Strikes Down D.C. Gun Control Laws."

My coverage of the D.C. Circuit's oral argument appeared here on the afternoon of December 7, 2006.
Posted at 10:08 AM by Howard Bashman

This is fantastic news! I must say that I am shocked though!
Quote:

But her other main point is that the majority's assertion to the contrary constitutes nothing more than dicta because the Second Amendment's protections, whatever they entail, do not extend to the District of Columbia, because it is not a State.

I love it! So because DC is not a state, the Constitutionally enumerated protections are null and void?? This is VERY dangerous thinking and an obvious indicator of the leftist mentality. So do people get their Miranda rights in DC? Lets shut down the news agency and have the Feds run them??

The Second Amendment:
Quote:

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

It's pretty clear what was meant! And some wonder why gun ownership is so important to a free society.

Hooray! for that appeals court.
smile.gif

A man with a gun is a citizen.

A man without a gun is a subject.

Guess which wavinwayne is.

Letsd make sure this doesnt turn into a political or similar thread... Otherwise this will have to be shut down... and it is a good tidbit of news.

JMH

right now its news. Pats on the back, and/or Im happy or unhappy with this is OK.

When we induce polarity or people get mad - then the thread goes bye bye.

We are teetering that way already - I know.

JMH

I'm surprised this has happened in my lifetime. I can't remember this sort of ruling happening!

As my old boss told me one day: "It's because of the 2nd amendment that we have the 1st amendment"

I always carried in DC, even before HR218. I know, I know call me an outlaw. OOOOOO, bad, bad...no doughnut for me
grin.gif

I always laughed when our supervisor's would "remind" us that we couldn't carry in the District, even though several of my MPD friends said to not even come into the city unless you're packing. I would always raise my hand and ask my "superiors" to pick which 6 they would assign to my detail if I didn't.

There is a glimmer of hope for them, but I'm still glad that there is a river between us
laugh.gif

A good place to look for what the 'founding fathers intended' are records from the constitutional convetions, where such topics were discussed. As I recall Philadelphia proposed rewording the 2nd amendment to specifically state an individual rights to bear arms, but it obviously wasn't adopted.

Looking at the proposals below by the states for the bill or rights, Pennsylvania and New Hampshire state a specific right to bear arms with out the context of the militia, others suggest a right to bear arms in the context of the militia, and some state proposals don't even mention this supposedly 'most important right upon which all others are based'. What we ended up with in the 2nd is a right to bear arms in the context of the militia.

http://www.constitution.org/dhbr.htm

Documentary History of the Bill of Rights

Virginia Bill of Rights, 1776 June 12 - 13. That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the

proper, natural, and safe defence of a free state; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided, as dangerous to liberty;

and that, in all cases, the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.

Amendments proposed by Pennsylvania Minority, 1787 December 12 - 7. That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of

themselves and their own state, or the United States, or for the purpose of killing game; and no law shall be passed for disarming the

people or any of them, unless for crimes committed, or real danger of public injury from individuals; and as standing armies in the time

of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up: and that the military shall be kept under strict subordination to and be

governed by the civil powers.

Amendments proposed by Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788 February 6. - ['arms' or 'militia' not mentioned]

Amendments proposed by a majority of the Maryland Ratifying Convention, 1788 April 21, Amendments proposed by a minority of the

Maryland Ratifying Convention, 1788 April 21. - 13. That the militia shall not be subject to martial law, except in time of war, invasion,

or rebellion.

Amendments proposed by South Carolina Ratifying Convention, 1788 May 23. - ['arms' or 'militia' not mentioned]

Amendments proposed by New Hampshire Ratifying Convention, 1788 June 21. - Twelfth, Congress shall never disarm any Citizen

unless such as are or have been in Actual Rebellion. --

Amendments proposed by Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788 June 27. - Seventeenth, That the people have a right to keep and bear

arms; that a well regulated Militia composed of the body of the people trained to arms is the proper, natural and safe defence of a free

State. That standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, and therefore ought to be avoided, as far as the circumstances

and protection of the Community will admit; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to and governed by

the Civil power.

Amendments proposed by New York Ratifying Convention, 1788 July 26. - That the People have a right to keep and bear Arms; that a

well regulated Militia, including the body of the People capable of bearing Arms, is the proper, natural and safe defence of a free State;

Amendments proposed by North Carolina Ratifying Convention, 1788 August 2. - 17th. That the people have a right to keep and bear

arms; that a well regulated militia composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural and safe defence of a

free state. That standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to Liberty, and therefore ought to be avoided, as far as the

circumstances and protection of the community will admit; and that in all cases, the military should be under strict subordination to,

and governed by the civil power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back