break in question

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i have a 4.7 v8 that was installed about 2500 mi ago, and i changed the factory oil at 1500 mi. i replaced it with QSGB and a cheap filter and will be doing the next change at 3k on that oil which had 1k on it. the engine manufacture said to run dino for 7k or it will blow syn out the tailpipe. i would do listen to his recommendation, but i have a ton of the PP from the fuel rewards, and want to dive into the stash. are his concerns valid, will i blow oil out the exhaust? if i do ca i go back to dino until the truck is ready? thanks

Nah, just wait it out. I didnt change over to PU 5w30 till 10,000 miles. I think even Dave at redline oil will tell you to wait. Some discussion on even using mos2 has ended with 10k miles first. Let them rings seat properly and just wait it out,i would. No hurry.

If the engine isn't broken in by 2500 miles, it's never gonna be. It only takes 300 miles to break in an engine.

these are the two responses i keep getting. how can you tell if it is "broken in" and what does its never gonna be mean?

Go ahead and put the synthetic in. Lots of cars use synthetic oil straight from the factory. Its a myth to think syn oil is any different than conventional oil with regards to engine break in. Synthetics simply have more stable base stocks, less deposits.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If the engine isn't broken in by 2500 miles, it's never gonna be. It only takes 300 miles to break in an engine.

Generally true. If prepped and assembled properly the rotating assembly is either right or wrong, and rings can be seated in very few miles...

Redline is a real synthetic, I don't know why you'd have to wait on a dino synthetic.

Whats the difference between a groupIII hydrocracked synthetic, and a Dino Hydrocracked group III other than wording, Id really like to know?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

For once, Merk and I agree. OP there are literally dozens of new cars that come from the factory with synthetic as the original fill. Change to synthetic whenever you like and rest easy.

If it isn't consuming dino, it won't consume synthetic either. How do you know when it is run in? When oil consumption stabilizes. If it isn't using any, that is as stabilized as it will ever get.

If it is using some, at 2500 miles, it is overdue for some heat and pressure in those cylinders. Full throttle acceleration, 10 mph to 90, several times at intervals, to let temps stabilize in between. (This is a little on the late side to do this, but you still have a good chance for it to have effect.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back