Break-in oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new Suburban with 5.3L. I'm looking at using Schaeffer's #701 for the break-in of at least 3000 miles. I plan to switch to synthetics at that mileage.
Anyone have any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks.

After break-in are you going with a synthetic with moly?

Have you considered the #701 for the long run? The numbers it posts here are impressive.

( Anyone have any thoughts or opinions? )

Yes my opinion is to use plain mineral oil for the break in. Something like Motorcraft or Chevron and to put the gas to the floor a few times briefly to seat the rings well before changing to a synthetic.

I cannot comment on the Schaeffers oils but I like to be different and still get what I pay for. Have you thought about Phillips Trop Artic 5/30 for the choice of synthetics for the life of the truck ? Maybe the Conoco 5/30 or 10/30 synthetic ? The Phillips synthetic I buy is less George Washingtons than Mobil is at Walmart
cool.gif
I beleive I am getting a very good oil at a modest price that will hang right in there with the bigger names out there .

I switched all my cars and the truck I own to Phillips a few months ago. I am quite happy .

I just felt like posting about an alternative oil that does not get much attention here on the forum. So it's JMHO to be different
cheers.gif

Don't know if anything else would be better than Schaeffer #701 5W-30 for break in, but I think you'd do yourself a big favor using Schaeffer #703 10W-30 for the rest of the time you own that engine. It has higher ratings for gasoline engines than anything else you can buy for less than $5(or more)/quart, and shows good analysis results.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back