Break in oil

I would imagine it was just a conventional 10W30 or straight 30 oil with some extra moly mixed in. It's not a requirement, but most OPE takes something on the order of a quart or less-pretty cheap insurance if you ask me! I can't believe the newer Briggs engines have LIFETIME crankcase fill-they aren't betting on tightwads like me running one 20 years or until the deck rusts off...

Briggs and Stratton uses a lot of plastic in their engines including the camshaft. Lifetime might have a different meaning from the older engines.

It's a great idea to drop it early, especially in a small OPE or similar engine with no filter & splash lube. The Predator 13 HP replacement engine on my log splitter sure had nice, sparkly oil after the first (1 hour) change!
I have the lesser Honda on my splitter. I ran what was included in the kit for an hr and it was the same way. I think I went 5 then changed it again with no change in sparkles. After a whole season and a half of use I think it’s finally cleaning up.

I would imagine it was just a conventional 10W30 or straight 30 oil with some extra moly mixed in. It's not a requirement, but most OPE takes something on the order of a quart or less-pretty cheap insurance if you ask me! I can't believe the newer Briggs engines have LIFETIME crankcase fill-they aren't betting on tightwads like me running one 20 years or until the deck rusts off...
My Audi has a lifetime fill. Just make sure you add oil with a tank of gas.

My Honda 125 Monkey uses the same oil in the engine. The dealership I bought it from said Honda has no break in oil on their motorcycles at least not in the Monkey. It's all the same for Honda's according to the owner of the Honda dealership in Nebraska.

Back