Break- in Oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have new truck, 5.4 Ford F150. Changed oil at 500 miles to Mobil 1. Dealer tech advised to get rid of and use Ford %W-30 untill 10K miles because it would not seat in properly with the Mobil 1. Dumped the oil at 800 miles and refilled with Ford 5W30. Now have ticking noise at 1800 miles. Do not know if related, I plan to use Ford ffor a while and switch back to Mobil 1. How long should I wait?
smile.gif

I have a new Ford Explorer 4.0 V6 with 3600 miles on it. I dumped the factory fill at 1000 miles and put in Mobil 1 5w30 and a K&N HP oil filter. I have no problems so far and don't believe those that say that you can't use synth for breaking in an engine. I would switch back to M1 at your next drain interval and see what happens. Sooner if you want to see if the tick will go away.

I switched my Nissan Sentra at 30 miles. Ford Mustang Cobra R comes with factoryfill. The mechanic is lacking in this area. Send a bill into them for giving you bad information which caused you to dump perfectly good oil.

This is from the Mobil 1 Site (I'm Not really touting Mobil):

"You can start using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ in new vehicles at any time, even in brand-new vehicles. In fact, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is original equipment (it is installed at the factory) in:

Chevrolet Corvette
All Porsche vehicles
Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles
Dodge Viper
Ford Mustang Cobra R
All Aston Martin cars

One of the myths that persists about Mobil 1 is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. Current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design these "factory-fill" high-performance cars, Mobil 1 can be used in an engine from the day you drive the car off the showroom floor."

Al, I don't believe this is as straight-forward as some would lead us to believe and would like to see more discussion.

What about a rebuild by the local speedshop?
What about a chevy crate motor?
What about a new Japanese rocket bike?
What about a new car with an 20yr old engine design?
What about a new car with an update of an old engine design?

To me each engine is specific because it will have unique differences in parts and construction. Answering the break-in question either way without knowing those factors is something of a shot in the dark.

-Can we lay out the reasons synthetic oils were originally not recommended for new motors? (ring seal, etc)

-Can we list differences in engine design and construction that would affect this, and how they've changed? (machining tolerance, factory break-in, etc.)

-Do we know if modern dino oils have similar problems where break-in is required? (just group 3's, or anything with good high temp EP?)

Seems like an important sub-specialty of engine lubrication. I'd very much like to understand more about it.

David

I never have understood why synthetics are not recommended in new engines, since it's not as if they are more slippery. It's just a different base oil.

Corvette's come with Mobil 1.

The term breakin is much abused. In all my years I have yet to find an oil marketed as "breakin oil". Back in the old days when a engine was rebuilt they would use a lightweight 10W oil for several hundred miles and the change to the whatever the owner wanted. An engine rebuilded did not want some bloke to dump in 40wt oil in a new engine with tight tolerances and cause it the fail. I knwo one old gent who is really paranoid, want to use 10W in the winter and 30 in the summer. He was complaining to me this summer that he can't find it anymore. He barely puts 5,000 miles on his car a year but is changing his oil every 3 months because he is afrain his 2001 Buick Century is not going to last. They treat him like a king at the quick lube, he always tells me, they are really nice.

But today engines are much more refined, they don't need to be broken in.

I never could understand the logic of wanting any engine to wear in, all thats doing is shorting the life of the engine?

Patman, when I first heard of the synth break-in thing 20+ yrs ago, it was exactly because of that. Synths were supposed to be more "slippery" and would prevent rings and cylinders from wearing for an efficient seal. Don't know how much was guesswork or experience. Many people were still afraid of synthetic oil so it could be part of that FUD factor.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
Corvette's come with Mobil 1.
But today engines are much more refined, they don't need to be broken in.

New corvette's are certainly designed and built ready-to-go. Are all engines the same?

David

While mobil says their synth is okay for break-in, both Redline and Amsoil continue to recommend dino for up to 5K. (From their websites.) I assume they've done their homework to be turning away sales?

Bob, if you're reading, any thoughts?

Where are the experienced engine builders?
smile.gif

Edit: Add Royal Purple to the list. They didn't provide any reasoning but did recommend dino for break-in.

[ December 09, 2002, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: OneQuartLow ]

quote:

Originally posted by OneQuartLow:
While mobil says their synth is okay for break-in, both Redline and Amsoil continue to recommend dino for up to 5K. (From their websites.) I assume they've done their homework to be turning away sales?

Bob, if you're reading, any thoughts?

Where are the experienced engine builders?
smile.gif

I'm not sure you can assume much from them not recommending it for break-in. In Amsoil's case they promote extended drains, and most would probably agree it isn't a good idea to extend your first oil change. Also it promotes a mentality that this isn't "ordinary" oil and so you should be willing to pay a higher price. Amsoil also provides some warrantee and I suppose they would like to see that their aren't any factory defects in the motor before Amsoil is used. This is all just speculation of course.

I'm sure Mobil 1 has done their homework too and came to a different conclusion. I personally see no problem breaking in a new motor with synthetic. I drained at 1000 and switched to M1 in my case.

quote:

Originally posted by rgiles:
. Amsoil also provides some warrantee and I suppose they would like to see that their aren't any factory defects in the motor before Amsoil is used. This is all just speculation of course. .
I think you make a very good point here. I read on Mobil's web page before they changed it: That even 25 years ago when syns could supposedly not break in a vehicle-that information was not correct. I can say in my case that I switched to synthetics in 3 cars at under 500 miles and another in under 1000 miles. None of those 4 uses oil.

I have to agree. The the first thing I do to any new equipment as so as I can. Change it to synthetic. I have never owned a vehicle that has an oil comsumption problem. I can't remember when I have had to add any oil to my vehicle. The car and truck get the oil changed once a year before winter, but the others when I fell like it.

According to info from the Fbodfather, 2002 Camaro and Firebird LS1 came with Mobil 1 filled from Sept of 2001 till the end of production in Augutst of 2002. The GM of Canada even advertised this fact on the web site.

Allt these are running Amsoil
  • 2002 Trans Am WS6
  • 2001 GMC Sierra SLT Ext Cab Z71
  • 2002 Honda Lawn Mower
  • 2001 Honda Rancher 4X4 ATV
  • 1999 Ariens 13HP Snowthrower
  • 1984 Craftsman Lawn Mower

[ December 08, 2002, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back