Break In Oil Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
He does not mention what engine oil he uses, what weight engine oil, what oil filter, or if it has an oil cooler - ALL OF WHICH would make a significant difference in oil change intervals.

he does use the electron microscope technique which F1 teams like Ferrari uses. It appears they look for "shape" & "size" of wear particles more in depth than a chemical one.

But it didn't really come to any conclusions...
It says the oil reaches its peak at 1000miles...so this is when you should change?

Honda is the only mfr I have heard of that uses a break-in oil anyway.

Honda warns in the strongest possible terms to leave the factory-fill oil in for a full 5,000 miles. In my opinion this is not proof that the factory-fill oil is somehow a specially engineered break-in oil. Others have posted that the extordinarily high molybdenum content is compelling evidence that it is, but one lone voice (not me) in the wilderness brought up an interesting point several weeks ago: that perhaps the high molybdenum content might just as easily be evidence that it was in the assembly lube slathered on the bearing journals and cam lobes. To my knowledge it's never been demonstrated in the field whether leaving the Honda factory-fill oil in for 5,000 miles results in longer engine life or not. I've always made it a point to drive easy for the miles my owner's manuals suggest, change the oil and filter out between 500 and 600 miles, and then again at the 3,000 mile mark. I've never had mechanical engine problems that could be attributed to lubrication issues. I've had some very high mileage cars, too. But neither of these points is proof that I'm right and the keep-the-break-in-oil-in-for-a-long-time crowd is wrong, either. I doubt in the end it makes much, if any, difference either way. Do what floats your boat and avoid pointless obsessing.

[ May 22, 2003, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back