Break-in Motor Oil (2007 Honda Accord)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read online that the 2007 Accord's motor oil comes from the factory with additives to aid in the break in period of the car. The manual says to change oil either when the service light comes on or after one year, whichever happens first. The car, which belongs to my mom (who does not drive much), has less than 1,000 miles on it, but just over a year has passed.

Is it important to let the break in oil finish its job and change the oil only after the service light comes on, or should I change the oil now? Thanks.

Personally, with that driving style, I would change the oil now. Likely a lot of water/acid and fuel dilution present.

Also, I honestly do not believe there is anything such as a special "break-in oil" installed by Honda or anyone else, but I could be wrong.

Originally Posted By: datamonkee
I have read online that the 2007 Accord's motor oil comes from the factory with additives to aid in the break in period of the car. The manual says to change oil either when the service light comes on or after one year, whichever happens first. The car, which belongs to my mom (who does not drive much), has less than 1,000 miles on it, but just over a year has passed.

Is it important to let the break in oil finish its job and change the oil only after the service light comes on, or should I change the oil now? Thanks.

In doing some research I've found two schools of thought regarding Honda's recommendations. The first being that their break in oil has more moly in it and that leaving their oil in helps develop wear patterns for a better running engine over the long haul. the other school says to leave the oil in for a much shorter time and change it out to rid the engine of whatever slag may be in there.

I just picked up an 08 Odyssey and my manual does say to leave the oil in until the reminded comes on or 1 year, whichever comes first. I have never, and I mean never, left the factory fill in any vehicle till the recommended first oil change and have never had an engine problem. I spoke to a friend who is a certified Honda mechanic at a Honda dealership and he said that the engines are made so well that if it made me feel better to change it out early then to go ahead and do so. I think that I will probably leave the fill in for at least 2000 miles and then change it out.

Just my 2 cents.

What's wrong with doing the oil change and filling with a high moly oil?
21.gif

I would change it out now and either refill with dino and change either 6 months or 1 yr intervals

I have an 07 Accord and I met them in the middle, I changed the FF at 6k kms. The OLM read 50%.
I now run it all the way til the OLM says change it which is about 9k kms.

You'll probably still have loads of moly after the oil change. All of it isn't getting dumped. You'll probably (especially after only 1000 miles) be seeing moly for a few years at the rate you're going.

Originally Posted By: Blokey
21.gif

The high moly in the break in oil is much higher than the high moly oil you found in the store.

The tech who said change it if you feel like it is right. In your case, a year is passed, so change it according to plan. Just use a high-moly oil in it's place. Pennzoil Yellow or Havoline come to mind. If you have access to Chevron Supreme, that's what I used, MEGA-MOLY. fwiw, moly helps the cross-hatch wear flat rather than getting rolled-over. I'd hammer that car a bit after warm-up to loosen up the engine. also, the filter catches any and all stuff in the oil, new or old engine.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Pennzoil Yellow or Havoline come to mind.

New Pennzoil Yellow /Blue ‘Cleans out up to 15% of engine sludge’ virtually moly free if not all 100% - few ppm can be left from previous oil. I’ve seen couple uoa reports here & in few other forums. Now it looks more like Mobil Clean 5000.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: Blokey
21.gif

The high moly in the break in oil is much higher than the high moly oil you found in the store.

Is there any proof that the Honda FF is formulated with a lot of moly or is the moly you see in the UOA from the assembly lube?

I bet the engine will see no ill effects if the oil is changed now and the fill is any off the shelf oil that meets spec listed in the owners manual (use a high moly oil if you're worried). There are plenty of moly additives available too if you're so inclined.

Quote:
s there any proof that the Honda FF is formulated with a lot of moly or is the moly you see in the UOA from the assembly lube?

They allegedly slather it up a bit in the assembly process...or so I was told.

Last new Honda [ 2004 Element ]....I kept the factory fill in for 3500 miles, and then switched to Mobil 1 0W-20 at 7K OCI's

Car has 80K and engine is perfect. So that worked out Ok.

Thanks for all the responses. You guys at bitog forums have always been a great resource for any question I have about oil/filters.

I think I may just change out the oil at the soonest convenience. I will probably swap out to 5w20 Mobil 1 and a Purolator filter.

One more question. This car, accruing miles at such a low rate, is similar to weekend cars or antique cars. Are there any concerns that pertain to these non-frequently-driven cars that are not applicable to daily drivers? For example, paul246 (2nd response) mentions "water/acid and fuel dilution." Is this a common problem?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
If at all possible, take the vehicle out for a highway run of 20 + minutes every so often. Good for the oil & good for the engine

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back