Brands You Miss

Ron Popeil is nothing compared to the Bogandoff brothers.

P23009284D4125077G.jpg

They look like they have masks on...

Ha. I saw a brand new, unused Ronco Showtime Rotisserie (with all the additional stuff) at a garage sale for one easy payment of $15.

I passed on it. Sure wish I'd bought the brand new, unused Snap-On carbon pile battery tester for $20.

You can't buy everything.

Yes on Hollywood Video. Big yes on Woolworth's. My German friends said, "Vulvorts".
Shoulda got the rotisserie! I have one of those that was a gift from the grandparents, it makes a great prime rib.

There seem to be a lot of cases where the company didn't quite go away, but they just withdrew the brand name.

Nissan discontinued the Datsun name.
Honda's joint venture killed the Sterling brand.
Isuzu is still around, but not making passenger vehicles.
Toyota discontinued Scion.
GM discontinued Daewoo, although that was more complicated. I was in Korea for less than a day in the early 90s and I saw plenty of "Daewoo LeMans" (aka the Pontiac LeMans) on the street.
Chrysler killed Plymouth.
What hasn't GM discontinued? Pontiac, Olsmobile, and Saturn went away.

Many of the Japanese companies have shifted or adapted their focus into new areas. Subaru and Mitsubishi are big in aerospace, their work with Boeing for example. They are also into the military sector. Datsun was supposed to come back but the Ghosn soap opera became the big news. Isuzu is into buses and trucks but they still produce kit assemblies for developing nations. Even Toyota is morphing into a mobility company, focusing on movement of many things.

Daewoo is now DE for Daewoo Electronics which mimics what Lucky Goldstar did when they became LG.

I'd been to that Woolworth's near us many, many times. Some of the most fun things were when they had a "sidewalk sale" at the shopping center and Woolworth's would have a bunch of $1 specials that I could afford, like a jigsaw puzzle. Not sure why I never went to the lunch counter. I just remember it was never very busy and was actually more of a zig-zag. It was certainly built for large numbers, but that must have been a long time ago.

When I was big on plastic models, I used to go to the Woolworth's in downtown San Francisco (the Flood Building), which had an extensive collection in the basement that was about as good as in any dedicated hobby shop. That was in a prime location right next to the Powell Street Cable Car turnaround and supposedly the largest location in the Woolworth's chain. I can't find too many good images from the 80s, but there are plenty from the 50s/60s.

6a00d83451c62a69e20148c7f39ff7970c-pi
Except for the hint that the bus is traveling downhill, darned if that doesn't look like my memory of Canal Street in the '60s. We still have a Walgreen's at a corner there like that Woolworth's.

The other "five-and-dime" stores then were Kress and McCrory's. Kress had a very good plastic model selection. McCrory's, we never shopped there much. It always smelled odd. And the one time I ate at their lunch counter, there were roaches. Not good.

Aurora and AMT model kits; AMT spray lacquer paints for your model cars; Pactra paints, both spray and brush-on. (Not to mention being able to buy a tube of, say, Revell cement without a license or parental permission.)

I had a nice Motorola AM portable radio when I was in high school. Great sound quality on that thing.

Small paperback publishers: Fawcett Gold Medal (well, they weren't really small), Pyramid Books, and Popular Library, with racy painted covers that usually didn't match the story inside, but those stories were often very good.

Local businesses: Holmes Department store (the one mentioned in A Confederacy of Dunces), now replaced by Dillard's. Sears with its 2-story-tall Santa in front at Christmastime. Gordon's, Zale's, and Hausmann's jewelers with Bulova Accutron watches in their windows. Katz & Besthoff drugstores, locally called "K an' B's," with their purple storefront, purple paper bags, and purple vests on the employees.

And Woolworth's, which of course was everywhere. (Miss Linda doesn't believe me when I tell her Woolworth's had a pet department that sold live animals -- hamsters, parakeets and mynahs, turtles, and even baby alligators!)
I bought all my hamsters at Woolworth's as a kid!

Also. Eagle.

The only Eagle I remember was an Eagle Vision TSi and I remember it's "Just a Dodge Intrepid".. I am convinced the car in the last scene of the iconic movie Office Space is an Eagle Vision.
1995_Vision_TSi_sedan.jpg

And I know its either a Dodge Intrepid, Chrysler Concorde or Eagle Vision but.. From the angle, you can't see the grill before they all drive away and I keep thinking it could be an Eagle Vision in that quirky, classic movie. That movie came out in 1996 IIRC.

Daewoo is now DE for Daewoo Electronics which mimics what Lucky Goldstar did when they became LG.

Korean electronics companies are a whole bunch of name changes. Goldstar was the leading Korean electronics brand of the 80s - even more than Samsung. But I was thinking of Daewoo as the part of the split that was acquired by GM. Hyundai Electronics became Hynix, which then merged to become SK Hynix.

Since someone mentioned various parts of the old Chrysler, I specifically remember when AMC was assembling Renault branded vehicles in the US. The last time I saw a Renault was one with a Mexican license plate (don't remember what state). Also Peugeot. The name is still around out the US, but as far as I can tell the only use of the brand now in the US is for salt and pepper grinders. I guess they're supposed to be coming back. I had a Peugeot bicycle, but at that point I'm not sure if they were still associated with the auto manufacturer.

peugeot-paris-extra-large-pepper-mill-4.jpg

Except for the hint that the bus is traveling downhill, darned if that doesn't look like my memory of Canal Street in the '60s. We still have a Walgreen's at a corner there like that Woolworth's.

The other "five-and-dime" stores then were Kress and McCrory's. Kress had a very good plastic model selection. McCrory's, we never shopped there much. It always smelled odd. And the one time I ate at their lunch counter, there were roaches. Not good.

That Woolworth's in San Francisco eventually became the flagship location for The Gap. But now they've basically abandoned it and didn't pay the rent. Kind of ironic that San Francisco based Gap doesn't even have a single location in San Francisco any more when they used to have several. Also - that streetcar is going down Market Street, which is extremely flat for about two miles. I think that's just the camera angle.

But this is where Gap took over. They had other brands like Athleta with smaller stores in the same building.

884px-Flood_Building_2017.jpg

By Dllu - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=57156305

As far as Kress goes, there's a building near where I live that still had the sign. It's become a bunch of different businesses over the years, but they keep the sign there for historic reasons.

kress_bldg2007.jpg

It still says Kress at the top and there's the lettering under the awning.

kress-store.jpg

Korean electronics companies are a whole bunch of name changes. Goldstar was the leading Korean electronics brand of the 80s - even more than Samsung. But I was thinking of Daewoo as the part of the split that was acquired by GM. Hyundai Electronics became Hynix, which then merged to become SK Hynix.

Totally forgot about Goldsar

Are GPX and Coby still around?

I had many GPX. Coby was trash.

Back