Brands You Miss

Texaco with their Fire Chief and Sky Chief gasoline.

Monkey Wards. ( That’s what we used to call them)

Piggly Wiggly stores. I know they are down south in some places but most around here closed up 30 years ago.

Too many others to remember right now.

There is a Piggly Wiggly about 5 minutes from me. I live outside of Birmingham, AL. The Pig stores are generally in more rural and smaller cities. There is a newcomer though, Publix. Publix supermarkets are generally found in larger cities and in larger shopping centers.

I miss the Craftsman brand. Shopping at Sears. The old fashioned big city department store at Six Corners. The store at North and Harlem ave. had an awesome tire shop with all sorts of automotive stuff. Still have the floor jack that I bought there when I was 18. Refuses to die.
I know lowes carries Craftsmani but it's not quite the same as it was. Especially the country of origin.

Western Auto
G C Murphy
Montgomery Ward

Not a brand, but when I was a kid, Dad always went to a tiny Mom and Pop furniture store that basically only sold cedar wood furniture. Don't remember it's name.

Radio Shack/Realistic products, Sears Kenmore Showrooms/Craftsmen, LPs/Record World, Audio Exchange (Long Island), Crazy Eddy, Ed’s Tropical Aquariums ... ohhhh the list goes on vs this new generic world of rebranded products made all in the same factories under multiple old brand names 🤨

There is a Piggly Wiggly about 5 minutes from me. I live outside of Birmingham, AL. The Pig stores are generally in more rural and smaller cities. There is a newcomer though, Publix. Publix supermarkets are generally found in larger cities and in larger shopping centers.
Publix covers SE about 8 states id say; HQ in FL

Woolworth stores. The last times I’ve seen them in 20+ years has been in Germany.

Bringing up Woolworth brought up this old relic in our closet. Woolworth HI.
IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG

Not really a brand but I miss the old Ala Moana Shopping Center back when Sears, JCPenney and other old school stores still existed. Now it caters to the tourists and rich.

I grew up in NC and that's where I remember them, so Barnes & Noble may be more prevalent in the mid Atlantic, but commercial book stores in general seem to be a 90s/early 00s mall novelty.

Back