Brands You Miss

How about all the brands from Crown-Zellerbach? It was a fairly large wood products company although I'm not sure what their reach was. They were based in San Francisco and even got bought out by James River, which then got absorbed by Georgia-Pacific.

However, in their heyday I was using Zee paper towels and Nice'n Soft TP.

I think Crown-Zellerbach had a paper plant in SE Lousy-ana in the late '70s. I know I delivered to one such plant during my overnight courier run with Purolator in '79. The stench stayed with me for days, and damp cardboard boxes in my closed-up van sent echoes through my brain whenever it rained.

Puss'n Boots

Got to be careful here. Has nothing to do with a strip club pole dancer. A long time ago my cats were fed a steady diet of this food. It was called Puss'n Boots. The felines liked it but it smelled awful. Good product. Kitties miss it.
View attachment 47420
I seem to recall that when I lived at home, Mom fed Rusty the huge short-haired red tabby on that as well as Nine Lives. He throve on it.

I don't believe Breyers was ever marketed as a premium product. It came in half gallons and was pumped with more air like its competitors. The whole idea of only using a few materials was really just fear mongering, as if there was something wrong with ingredients that sounded exotic.

Breyers has some they still call ice cream but others don't qualify. I believe the rule is about the milk fat content. They don't use fillers like soybean oil, but they just can't call it ice cream.
They pretty much all have corn syrup in them. There may be some ice cream available at Whole Foods that doesn't, but I don't wanna take out a bank loan to buy ice cream.

I think Crown-Zellerbach had a paper plant in SE Lousy-ana in the late '70s. I know I delivered to one such plant during my overnight courier run with Purolator in '79. The stench stayed with me for days, and damp cardboard boxes in my closed-up van sent echoes through my brain whenever it rained.

I knew the name (or at least the Zellerbach part) from the primary performing arts space on the UC Berkeley campus. I look a few classes there even though it wasn't meant as a classroom space. Saw a few performances too, as well as two free "lectures" by Stephen Hawking - back when I was in high school.

zellerbach-hall-front-plaza-4.jpg

Remember flashbulbs and flashcubes?

My first camera was a 110 Kodak. Strangely enough bought at a Longs Drugs on K Street in Sacramento when I was a kid. I believe that it came with one GE flip flash in the box. Those were really interesting with some sort of wiring that blew a fuse after each flash went off to allow for the next one to work.

14253916769_0bdae85b35.jpg

The camera itself has they s case that flipped open and opened to the point where it was diagonal at a 135 degree angle kind of as a handle. It had no battery and was completely mechanical. I think the pressing of the shutter button also closed a switch to the flash mechanism. I think it was a Tele-Ektra 1. I promptly dropped it a few days after I got it, although my dad got someone to take it apart to fix it.

189_DSC_8179b.jpg

Yeah well I wasn’t really around for them but my dad still has one lol.

I never had a Polaroid camera, but I'd seen them a lot. They were the predominant means of passport photos for about 30 years. Once I was at a high school fair where a club I was in was taking photos for about $2. It was so popular that we ran out of film and then sent someone to buy more at lunch. I think the cost was about 60 cents per shot.

The movie Momento made use of Polaroid photos. That was just a few years before digital photography really took off. These days someone might just leave messages on a smart phone instead of writing notes on photos.

I never had a Polaroid camera, but I'd seen them a lot. They were the predominant means of passport photos for about 30 years. Once I was at a high school fair where a club I was in was taking photos for about $2. It was so popular that we ran out of film and then sent someone to buy more at lunch. I think the cost was about 60 cents per shot.

The movie Momento made use of Polaroid photos. That was just a few years before digital photography really took off. These days someone might just leave messages on a smart phone instead of writing notes on photos.
E6BABEF2-76BA-4A9B-ACA0-E742132292BE.jpeg

I just found this Instamatic camera in my basement lol it was also his. Yes very common back in the day I’m sure. And handy too.

I kind of miss the General Food's International Coffee. Okay, maybe it was more like fancy, flavored hot chocolate mix than actual coffee, but I liked their French Vanilla. Of course, the tins it came in were great for keeping nuts, bolts, screws, and other small parts.

I kind of miss the General Food's International Coffee. Okay, maybe it was more like fancy, flavored hot chocolate mix than actual coffee, but I liked their French Vanilla. Of course, the tins it came in were great for keeping nuts, bolts, screws, and other small parts.

Still on the market, but rebranded as Maxwell House. Of course there's no more General Foods, but the brands like Maxwell House, Jell-O, and Post Cereals live on in some form or another.

5a3aea42-403c-453d-bc21-bb8df477da7f.41015172e1d4159384b6b260e539efb6.jpeg

I thought that Altoids (or Sucrets) tins were the ideal contain for little items.

Back