Brands with Best Base Stocks Among Regular Oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We always hear certain brands used Group 2 base oils, others Base 2+, for regular (non-synthetic) oil brands. Just wondering which brands use highest quality base stocks ?. For regular oil would Group 2+ be the best base stock used ?, I never hear Group 3 or higher being used in regular non-synthetic brands. Could someone list which brands are known for using higher quality base stocks ?. Mainly checking the basic store shelf brands such as Castrol, Penzoil, Quaker State, Mobil, Havoline, etc..... . Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

I know for sure Pennzoil uses a group 2+ base stock, and I think Havoline as well (and Chevron but we don't have that up here in Ontario)

Johnny has a good post on this subject somewhere - at least for US production. Many of the brands are totally different as you cross the borders. Even within Group I base oils there are big differences.

I am not sure going by base oil alone would give you the best oil. From previous posts Mobil drive clean is only a group 1. Johnny has referred to a "robust" additive package in this oil.
Look at the Lubeguard web site. The reduction in friction when Lubeguard is added to various oils shows some interesting figures. When added to Penzoil there was -if memory serves- a 19% lowering of friction but when added to Mobil there was only a 7% improvement. Is this due to the already potent additive package in Mobil?
If this is the case, I would say that IF the operating temp range is not too high and the oil is changed regularly, the Mobil (group 1) might give you less wear than the Penzoil (group 2 or 2+).

I think for typical 5W30, 10W30 off-the-shelf "conventional" oils, the base stock is pretty much the entire difference between brands.

They all pretty much use ZDDP ... and the amount is now strictly limited by the iron fist of the API.
nono.gif

--- Bror Jace

JSIR,

The additive chemistry has at least as much to do with the performance of the fully formulated oil as does the basestock. Even the best synthetic base oil would be useless without additives (at least in an engine oil application). Given the same additive chemistry, the Group II and II+ basestocks will generally give you slightly better performance than the old Group I stuff.

TooSlick

My oh my, Lubeguards testing of the Quaker State oil shows it to be a very,very good oil as compared to these other known oils
wink.gif

Read into it though,or try to? They list "base oils". Are they leaving out the additives? Are they using the old PAO Quaker base and pre Hydrocrcked Pennzoil?

In my opinion,somethings missing

While there at the Lubegard site,I could not find the MSDS Sheet? If someone runs across that ,please post.

Base Oil Friction Reduction Wear Reduction
Pennzoil 19.0% 67.3%
Quaker State 1.1% 13.2%
Havoline 29.8% 63.3%
Castrol 29.6% 78.8%
Mobil 7.3% 12.5%

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
My oh my, Lubeguards testing of the Quaker State oil shows it to be a very,very good oil as compared to these other known oils
wink.gif

Pennzoil 19.0% 67.3%
Quaker State 1.1% 13.2%
Havoline 29.8% 63.3%
Castrol 29.6% 78.8%
Mobil 7.3% 12.5%

Dragboat,
Do you know if the Havoline was the ChevronTexaco brand or the Equilon?

Thanks,
Steven

"and I think Havoline as well (and Chevron but we don't have that up here in Ontario) "
Both Chevron Texaco and Equilon Havolines here in So. Cal say group II on the back of the bottle. The local Rite Aid has both ChevronTexaco and Equilon. The Equilon has a very large cap, twice the diameter of other oil brands. Chevrontexaco is normal size.

JSIR -- The base stocks used in all of the Petro-Canada oils are of very high quality because of their use of only severely hydrocracked base stocks. I've recently spoken to a person in their Technical Department about this issue who informed me that the high quality of their base oils is largely unknown by the public at large, because their big money making business in lubricants is mostly in OEM automotive fills.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I know for sure Pennzoil uses a group 2+ base stock, and I think Havoline as well (and Chevron but we don't have that up here in Ontario)

I am in guelph ontario, and I've purchased my Chevron products from an oil distributor in Kitchener call Hog Fuels. They sell the whole line, along with Mobil products.

icruse,

That info was on their website long before the buyout imo. I am pretty sure it is Texaco Havoline from a few years ago.

Ever so slowly the Chevron Havoline is showing up here,only in the 10/40 wt though for some reason?.

I don't know about that Lubeguard information, looks kind of fishy to me, any of you guys really believe their findings, personally I don't. Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

Canuk, just so you know, that description you used above may apply to Group II oils ... which are good, but Group II+ are a bit better.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

--- Bror Jace

I wonder what they charge for Royal Purple? I was in a Performance Improvements shop (the one that charges $18.99 a quart for Redline!) and they said Royal Purple was $30 a quart!! Yikes!

Pennzoil 19.0% 67.3%
Quaker State 1.1% 13.2%
Havoline 29.8% 63.3%
Castrol 29.6% 78.8%
Mobil 7.3% 12.5%

Were these tests on bearings or what? What were the conditions of the test?

quote:

I wonder what they charge for Royal Purple? I was in a Performance Improvements shop (the one that charges $18.99 a quart for Redline!) and they said Royal Purple was $30 a quart!! Yikes!

Patman,

If I remember correctly, the RP sold at Flying J is definitely cheaper than $30 per quart. I think it was around the $15-20 per quart range. I hope you do know NOT to shop in PI all the time
wink.gif
Sometimes they have good deals on a lot of things, but with stuff like oil and filters, they seem to rip people off. $11 for Purolator PremiumPlus...***?
dunno.gif

Regards,

Oz

I really don't shop at PI at all. I used to buy PureONEs there when they were $11, but when they raised the price to $18 I say CYA! I went in there a few weeks ago just to see what the price of Redline was, just for laughs. They price everything too high.

quote:

I am in guelph ontario, and I've purchased my Chevron products from an oil distributor in Kitchener call Hog Fuels. They sell the whole line, along with Mobil products.

dcormann -> Thanks for that info. Would you happen to have their number? I'm curious if they know any retailers closer to the Quebec/Ontario border.

Patman -> Chevron Delo is available in Flying J truck stops situated along the 401 and Trans. Canada highway. They also sell Royal Purple there which is interesting. The next time I visit Mississauga, I'll make sure to stop by at Flying J on the 401 and take a gander again.

Regards,

Oz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back