Brand perception

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was driving to work today when I noticed one of the ubiquitous "tech shuttles" here in Silicon Valley. This one wasn't a large coach bus; it was a Sprinter passenger van. Of course it wasn't a Dodge-logoed van, nor a Freightliner one. It had the MB 3-pointed star.

I suppose they specifically made sure it had the MB name on it, just like when I saw a Sprinter delivery van operated by an upscale ski resort with the MB name.

I'm wondering why they even offer it under the Freightliner name, since a lot of the people riding it probably prefer the perception that they're riding in an upscale vehicle. The name "Freightliner" might not sit well will some high-tech workers being shuttled around, since they probably don't want to be thought of as "freight".

Do you like your plumber or blue collar guy showing up in a MB? That was the original reason for using Freightliner name since Daimler owned them anyway.

They originally did want the luxury vision of MB portrayed to folks in the USA and rebadged it.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Was driving to work today when I noticed one of the ubiquitous "tech shuttles" here in Silicon Valley. This one wasn't a large coach bus; it was a Sprinter passenger van. Of course it wasn't a Dodge-logoed van, nor a Freightliner one. It had the MB 3-pointed star.

I suppose they specifically made sure it had the MB name on it, just like when I saw a Sprinter delivery van operated by an upscale ski resort with the MB name.

I'm wondering why they even offer it under the Freightliner name, since a lot of the people riding it probably prefer the perception that they're riding in an upscale vehicle. The name "Freightliner" might not sit well will some high-tech workers being shuttled around, since they probably don't want to be thought of as "freight".
I think that the tech workers aren't as preoccupied with names and branding as they are with the actual physical comfort of the shuttle vans.

In the beginning they were what rjundi said. Now, IIRC you can only get them in MB or Freightliner trims. Makes no difference to me. I remember living in NJ and a lot of the delivery trucks (box trucks) were MB's.

There's of course a long history of branding where the vehicles are essentially identical save badging. The Suburban was a prime example, until they came up with the Yukon XL model name to differentiate it. I remember the Dodge/Plymouth Neon. And who could forget the GM J platform, with everything from the Chevy Cavalier to the Cadillac Cimmaron. The latter probably did more to destroy Cadillac's reputation than the pimpmobiles of the 70s/80s.

Mercedes makes a lot of commercial vehicles. When they owned Chrysler they sold their Sprinter line as Dodge's. Now that they don't they are just Mercedes.

Daimler makes most of their money with commercial trucks, Mercedes cars are just a small and not very profitable part of the company. Also in the rest of the world Mercedes makes more than luxury vehicles. Remember the star stands for excellance on the land, sea and air.

Zetros_Schneepflug.JPG

rp1290.gif

sr2000.jpg

Wilhelm Maybach founded MTU and they made just about everything like Porsche did in the early days.

So today I was driving on the way to work when I passed by a gas station. There was a Sprinter delivery van with the markings of a local BMW dealer. It was the Dodge version.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
Mercedes are taxis in europe and BmW's are police cars. Great marketing in the US has brought the brand in the US where it is today.

North America is a very profitable market. Just don't tell the status-symbol buyers that their cars are pizza delivery tier in their domestic market
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back