Brand new VW 2.0T- Castrol 0w40 ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished changing the oil mentioned in my original post. 0w40 Castrol Edge European Formula made in Germany. It does meet MB 229.3 and 229.5 spec. $21.66 at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Raybo
use the best oil on the market.

Define "best."

Also, the OP's car is under warranty.

I would like to know that too.
I was personally involved in testing of one oil (not on sale in the U.S.). Approval from VW for 504.00/507.00 was like 3000 euros. So my question is: Why Redline is not getting those approvals.
Amsoil got MB, BMW and probably will soon get VW.
So how come that "best" oil does not have any approval?

3000 euro is only the approval admin charge! Getting the 504 507 specification on a formulation requires many engine tests and will often cost over $3m as it requires lots of tests and they are bloody difficult so need several attempts.

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Originally Posted By: Raybo
use the best oil on the market.

Define "best."

Also, the OP's car is under warranty.

I would like to know that too.
I was personally involved in testing of one oil (not on sale in the U.S.). Approval from VW for 504.00/507.00 was like 3000 euros. So my question is: Why Redline is not getting those approvals.
Amsoil got MB, BMW and probably will soon get VW.
So how come that "best" oil does not have any approval?

3000 euro is only the approval admin charge! Getting the 504 507 specification on a formulation requires many engine tests and will often cost over $3m as it requires lots of tests and they are bloody difficult so need several attempts.

3000 euros is what VW charges.
How much you need to invest in the development of certain oil is another thing. 3m, 2m, 1m, 500K, 100K, depends on the oil manufacturer. I can tell you that if this manufacturer invested 3m, they would be long gone bankrupt.
If Redline has an oil that they say meets VW requirements, than there is no reason to send it to VW and get that approval.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
0W30 and 0W40 gold bottle Castrol meets MB 229.5 as well as VW 502 and 505.

You guys get the 0w30 and 0w40 in gold bottles up there in Canada???

I know we can get the gold bottle at the dealer as they don't use the black bottle Castrol, I'd like to know where else I can find the gold bottle? The stuff the dealer uses is terrible IMO I get a terrible cold start rattle in my 1.8t I think its a 5w30 grade they use.

If Redline has an oil that they say meets VW requirements, than there is no reason to send it to VW and get that approval.

Except the only ones who can say that any oil meets VW's requirements is VW, which is why you have to work with them.

Originally Posted By: weasley

Except the only ones who can say that any oil meets VW's requirements is VW, which is why you have to work with them.

Go to Redline web site. It says: Recommended not approved. Sorry for misunderstanding.
But if Redline recommends that oil for various Euro cars, than there is no reason to get approval.

But if Redline recommends that oil for various Euro cars, than there is no reason to get approval.

Will Redline give you a new engine if yours happens to fail in an unlikely event that their oil was to blame?

Will Redline give you a new engine if yours happens to fail in an unlikely event that their oil was to blame?

LOL. That is my point. If they claim to have oil that is good for Euro cars, why not getting approval?

Your worry shouldn't be what VW approved oil to use. Worry about how bad your oil consumption might be. Keep a quart in your car at all times. When VW says oil consumption at the rate of 1 quart every 1000 miles is normal they ain't kidding!

Originally Posted By: deven
When VW says oil consumption at the rate of 1 quart every 1000 miles is normal they ain't kidding!

Same can be said about some Acura/Honda engines.

When VW says oil consumption at the rate of 1 quart every 1000 miles is normal they ain't kidding!

Same can be said about some Acura/Honda engines.

Funny that our VW engine doesnt consume a drop, nor did the acura it replaced...
smile.gif

LOL. That is my point. If they claim to have oil that is good for Euro cars, why not getting approval?

Probably cause they haven't run/passed all the tests rather than the 3000 euro admin fee.

Mine consumed oil for about the first 15k miles. Now there's really no consumption to speak of. Also, FWIW I've been using Motul 8100 Xcess 5w40 and it works really well in my TSI engine.

Your worry shouldn't be what VW approved oil to use. Worry about how bad your oil consumption might be. Keep a quart in your car at all times. When VW says oil consumption at the rate of 1 quart every 1000 miles is normal they ain't kidding!

I am not worry about approvals. I know how to read numbers.
I was just answering what someone mentioned about Redline.
ALL companies claim that certain consumption is normal. Generally, companies in Europe claim that 1 liter of oil in 1000 km (not miles) is normal.
However, my two cars both with 2.0T engine do not consume drop of oil.
Generally people complain about oil consumption in these cars.
I say:
1. Check what kind of oil you use (since dealership Castrol 5W40 is piece of s...).
2. maybe engine was not break in properly.

ALL companies claim that certain consumption is normal. Generally, companies in Europe claim that 1 liter of oil in 1000 km (not miles) is normal.
I say:
1. Check what kind of oil you use (since dealership Castrol 5W40 is piece of s...).

My response was a general one for the OP. I agree with what you're saying especially the part about dealership Castrol 5w40 sucking.

I say:

My response was a general one for the OP. I agree with what you're saying especially the part about dealership Castrol 5w40 sucking.

Agree.
For example, SHell T6 does not have approval, but works really good in these engines.
Would I use it? No, at least until I rack up so many miles that I need something so thick as T6 to prevent consumption or leaks. Until than, Mobil1 0W40.

My GTI seems happiest on Mobil 1.

It also doesn't consume any oil, or at least not enough for my eye to detect.

I say:

Any reason for this beyond the lack of MB229.5?

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro

I say:

Any reason for this beyond the lack of MB229.5?

Personal experience. I have a 2012 3.0 TFSI engine and I got a free oil change at 5000 miles which was Castrol Edge 5w40. Burned 2 quarts in 10,000 miles, came out really thin during oil change and had a burnt smell. The car had an audible lifter tick with the oil and the engine just felt rougher. Have Royal Purple 5w40 in the engine with close to 10,000 miles and zero oil consumption in which the car has seen a Stage II APR tune, 2 dyno runs and 8 passes at Seekonk Speedway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back