Brand new Nissan Frontier - 1st oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone!

So, I recently purchased myself a shiny new Nissan Frontier, V6, 4x4, auto. Going to be coming up to the first oil change shortly. It sees mostly very, very, very short trips (10 - 12 blocks). Service manual (such as it is, it is a leaflet printed by the dealer) says 1st service at 6000km, and every 6000km after that. They recommend Mobile Super 1000, or Mobil1, both in 5w-30. I have no problems with either oil, but I was curious about opinions on Pennzoil Ultra. According to Shell, it cleans better than Mobil1. Anyone have any real-world experience with it? Does it clean better than Mobil1? Pennzoil Ultra is hard to find around here, but I can order it if I buy 1 case at a time.

Thanks!

I have a 2007 Fronty and have fed it nothing but Mobil 1 since the first oil change at 1000 miles. It is now approaching 50 miles. It burns no oil between changes of 5000 miles or so. I also drained and filled both diffs with Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil and use Mobil 1 ATF in the transfer case and power steering system. But I always use Nissan Matic J in the auto tranny.

Two things to watch for: the plastic timing chain tensioners will wear through and you can tell when they are ready to be replaced when you hear the timing chain whine. Mine had to be done at about 34,000 miles while others can go for 100,000 miles. Secondly, the tranny cooling coil in the radiator can crack and allow coolant in the tranny fluid. There is an extended warranty on the tranny for this. Your new Frontier, however, may have this under control with a new radiator.

Originally Posted By: Sillicon
Hey Everyone!

It sees mostly very, very, very short trips (10 - 12 blocks).

Worst thing ever for an engine, esp in Canada.

Buy a bike. (LOL)

Last edited:
Hey Everyone!

So, I recently purchased myself a shiny new Nissan Frontier, V6, 4x4, auto. Going to be coming up to the first oil change shortly. It sees mostly very, very, very short trips (10 - 12 blocks). Service manual (such as it is, it is a leaflet printed by the dealer) says 1st service at 6000km, and every 6000km after that. They recommend Mobile Super 1000, or Mobil1, both in 5w-30. I have no problems with either oil, but I was curious about opinions on Pennzoil Ultra. According to Shell, it cleans better than Mobil1. Anyone have any real-world experience with it? Does it clean better than Mobil1? Pennzoil Ultra is hard to find around here, but I can order it if I buy 1 case at a time.

Thanks!

Interesting. You must be loaded. I think you would be better of with a sled. In any event, either oil will be fine for your needs. A very, very, very short OCI would be ideal.

Congrats on the new truck. The limiter on your oil life might be moisture build up, assuming you dont take long trips regularly to get the oil up to temp and cook off the moisture.

Congratulations on the new Nissan Frontier. If it came out of the Smyrna, Tennessee plant; it was filled with Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 which is a Shell Product, according to Joey at Nissan. Just to let you know.

Quote:
Interesting. You must be loaded. I think you would be better of with a sled.

LOL....I always thought a sled was the quickest way for someone who has money to lose it. Especially if it happens to be a 2010 skidoo 800, apparently they had problems with the primary belt alignment and you would have to buy a new belt every 150kms.

Originally Posted By: Mustang2008Z
Congratulations on the new Nissan Frontier. If it came out of the Smyrna, Tennessee plant; it was filled with Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 which is a Shell Product, according to Joey at Nissan. Just to let you know.

Thanks for the info. It would be interesting to discover what the factory fills are on a lot of vehicles.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Hey Everyone!

It sees mostly very, very, very short trips (10 - 12 blocks).

Worst thing ever for an engine, esp in Canada.

Buy a bike. (LOL)

If it was me making that trip then I would, but it is my wife...and she demands heat when she drives to work...something about -20 being cold..or something...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back