Brand new F250 eats it’s transmission.

A Friend of ours just took delivery of his new 6.7l F250 King Ranch with the Tremor package a few weeks ago. Well, 700 miles in, it was stuck in 3rd and as he looked down to look at the instrument cluster to see what gear it was in, it went from 3rd to 10th. He said that he was going to take it to the local dealership as soon as that happened, because he was only 5 miles away at the time, and just leave it until they could look at it. Well, as soon as he went about a mile down the road, he says it slammed back down into 3rd. It was a “very violent slam” in his words,….I could imagine that it was.
After looking at it and taking the pan off, they say that it had metal shavings everywhere. They’re going to replace the transmission according to him. I’m sure that they’ll take good care of him and replace everything that could have possibly been affected by this problem since he’s they’re, and pretty much everyone else’s, PDR guy and he takes care of them.
Has anyone had someone close to them experience this issue or had a customer Experience first hand? I’m very curious as to what exactly caused this problem. I guess that I might do some research on this issue as it appears that Ford has had some problems like this with the 10 speed after briefly looking it up. I would be sick to my stomach if my new truck ate it’s transmission within 700 miles.

I had a 7.3L right when it came out with the 10spd and the trans was absolutely perfect. Best part of the truck.
Sounds like one of those flukes.
That’s what I’m thinking. I did see some problems very similar to this online, but I’ve been too busy to really look into them. What I’m seeing online is probably the old situation where you’ll find all of the complaints on the internet, but none of the praise.
I’ll find out what they tell him happened exactly and report back once they figure it out.

That’s what I’m thinking. I did see some problems very similar to this online, but I’ve been too busy to really look into them. What I’m seeing online is probably the old situation where you’ll find all of the complaints on the internet, but none of the praise.
I’ll find out what they tell him happened exactly and report back once they figure it out.
Right after their introduction some were defective and they were loud..
But that was the typical teething pains like the new Tundra turbo is having... I think he just was an unlucky soul.

Fluke. Personally, I much rather it happen early than after the 5/60 expires.

A defective bearing probably shredded and got in the valve body. There's a bad apple in every basket of good ones
Oh yes, I would much rather it happen earlier than later, but I would still be sick after dropping that money on it and only getting 700 miles down the road Before it’s FUBAR’d. I would rather it not happen at all. 😂

Last edited:
Ford will likely replace the entire transmission. I had some trouble with my 2018 10spd and that was the only option they had at the time. There aren’t many issues with the 10r80 - complaints are pretty much about the upshift from 3rd (mine had it), a cold start driveshaft smack (mine does it but id not have noticed it had the internet not pointed it out), and ever so slight pump wine from straight-cut gears (Whatever).

while mine never did what your friend’s did, coming out of 3rd was indeed a thing.

I rented a 5.0/10 speed from Uhaul last year to tow my Jeep. Yes, completely different trans, but wow that 10 speed was perfection! There was a gear for everything - and I don't mean that in a negative way!

There were a few times where I coasted quickly to a stop because I had 6000 pounds behind me on a trailer up a 10% grade. It would get confused and not shift down past 3rd. It seemed to like defaulting to 3rd gear mode.

From what I've read (my F150 has 6R80 not 10) the issues with the 10 speed had more to do with programming and erratic searching for gears with harsh downshift to 3rd. F150 forums seems to indicate the harshness has been fixed. Many now report they like it. It's still a Ford/Chevy collaboration right?

Sounds like this failure was one of oh great! I'm the lucky guy. And totally agree, better immediately than later down the road.

From what I've read (my F150 has 6R80 not 10) the issues with the 10 speed had more to do with programming and erratic searching for gears with harsh downshift to 3rd. F150 forums seems to indicate the harshness has been fixed. Many now report they like it. It's still a Ford/Chevy collaboration right?

Sounds like this failure was one of oh great! I'm the lucky guy. And totally agree, better immediately than later down the road.
From what I remember GM bailed out of the collaboration

It was a collaboration between Ford and GM. I’m not sure of the exact details, but I do remember that.
Yes, he is “the lucky guy” (unlucky) in this situation and I feel bad for him. The dealership that he bought it from here in town is a good dealership and he also has a good relationship with them, so it’ll work out I’m sure.
I personally have known some people that have the 10 speed and they’re very happy with them. When I did a quick search, it showed some very similar incidents over the few years that it’s been out, so I was curious if anyone here had experienced this situation. I’m very curious as to what they tell him happened exactly.

I don't think GM bailed on the collaboration - they use the unit in their lineup today. Ford has not used the 9 speed that GM developed that was part of the agreement.

To be clear, the 10R80 (F150 and others) and 10R140 (F250 and up) are different units that interchange very few parts. While they share similar architecture and powerflow, they are distinct units. (Example: The 10R140 weighs 140 lbs more than the 10R80...)

Stinks to have an early failure, but better now than after the warranty is out.

Back