Brand new Beretta 92X Centurion - Cracked slide

Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
Picked it up few days ago and of course I didn't see anything at the store. Once I started checking it out at home and cleaning it from the shipping oil, I noticed a crack in the slide coming from the dove tail of the front sights. Never shot a single round though it yet. It looks like the crack was there before it got painted/coated as there is no chipping in the finish or bare metal visible. So if it left the factory like that, that's some bad QC there, or I'm just extremely unlucky :(

Created a warranty ticket with Beretta, but that will most likely take weeks to resolve. Let's hope it's not months.

Beretta slide 06.png
Beretta slide 01.png
Beretta slide 02.png

Last edited:
Bummer! You don't expect that from one of the leading gun manufacturers. Hopefully you will get quick resolution. I know how anxious I can be, to take a new gun out and get in some range time with it. But now, you are on hold? Or do you plan on shooting it anyway? What is the Beretta warranty? Is it lifetime, like a lot of the other leading gun brands?

Bummer! You don't expect that from one of the leading gun manufacturers. Hopefully you will get quick resolution. I know how anxious I can be, to take a new gun out and get in some range time with it. But now, you are on hold? Or do you plan on shooting it anyway? What is the Beretta warranty? Is it lifetime, like a lot of the other leading gun brands?
Yeah, I was looking forward to taking it out to a range. I'm not sure what's next. I just created the warranty ticket today after taking photos and documenting this for myself. I imagine they will want to see some photos etc and probably send a shipping label. I'm not going to shoot it as who knows how far the slide is compromised.

The oldest gun manufacturer unfortunately offers 1 year warranty and if you register it, it's two more years I think. Not that great considering they are not the cheapest out there.

FWIW Beretta has had QC problems with US made stuff for a while now. Rusty barrels, inconsistent finishes, etc. It's actually what made me check out (and eventually purchase) a couple CZ pistols instead.

A cracked slide is probably the worst thing I've seen, though.

wonder if it cracked when they pressed in the front sight

I'm no metallurgist, but to me it looks like a casting defect, and was there before the front sight was installed. Notice the slight depression at the crack. That suggests to me that it was there when it was cast, and when cooling, shrinkage caused the depression. But I may be totally off.

I don’t know about a shipping label… UPS, FedEx, and USPS will only accept a handgun for shipping from an FFL these days.

If your dealer will not replace it?…maybe at least they will ship it for you.

beretta had a cracked frame issue with its tip-up barrel pocket pistols in recent years. very distressing to see this problem leave the factory.

I don’t know about a shipping label… UPS, FedEx, and USPS will only accept a handgun for shipping from an FFL these days.

If your dealer will not replace it?…maybe at least they will ship it for you.
having just sent back a pistol via ups with a pre paid shipping label , i found this not to be true. and i am not a ffl

having just sent back a pistol via ups with a pre paid shipping label , i found this not to be true. and i am not a ffl

A non FFL has not been able to ship a handgun with USPS for a long time.

When it ammo lab posted that i went and looked, this appears to be a recent change because both fed ex and UPS did have an exception for "shipping back to manufacturer for repair" which i can no longer find. You also had to take it to a hub and declare it, you could not just give it to a driver or drop box and it had to go overnight.

However, i have run into situations where the manufacturers have created special deals with ups or fed ex, so your manufacturer may have done so.

You did it true, but if you told UPS it was a pistol?…The person who accepted it had no idea of the new position on firearms.

I sent my Ruger LCP back via USPS by just wrapping the original box per Ruger instructions, no problem. Ruger provided a shipping label. When I bought my Beretta 92 FS from PSA I specifically asked for a made in Italy 92. It has made in Italy stamped on it but who knows! It has been perfect but sad to see Berettas QC has obviously slipped.

You did it true, but if you told UPS it was a pistol?…The person who accepted it had no idea of the new position on firearms.

i don't see where its says i need to declare a firearm .

i don't see where its says i need to declare a firearm .

So you CANNOT SHIP a handgun without an FFL, no legal way!….but if you don’t declare it?….it is AOK? What kind of weird reasoning is that?

If your pistol was lost or stolen? No insurance money would be coming your way from UPS, and a possible visit from ATF. But hey, you’re a rebel, I get it. 😉

”Declaration” see it here:

Last edited:
Back