Brand new 2019 Hyundai Tucson catches fire - local news story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local news story I caught while catching up on my daily read. Brand new 2019 Hyundai Tucson with 300 miles on the clock goes up in flames.

2019 Hyundai Tucson goes up in flames.

Sure this is probably some specific defect to this particular car but the optics of if are not good on the heels of all the other Hyundai's and Kia's catching fire.

Last edited:
Seems the fat kid in N.Korea isnt just removing relatives anymore. Back in my day Saturn cars caught fire a lot. I think they had some cooling issues.

Maybe I need to request my dinner guest who drive Korean automobiles not park their car on the driveway as a courtesy to other guest and my driveway.

So ~1 million trucks recalled over 3 separate independent makes (PimTac links), adding the in ~1.3 million over 4 independent makes (dishdude links) you get about the same number of fire risks from 7 manufacturers as you get from Hyundai/Kia alone.

So 7 manufacturers have a combined recall related fire risk total that is about equal to 1 manufacturer so its all hunky dory? Hyundai/Kia sold 2.3 million cars that they have admitted could catch on fire, next worst offender is the Toyota Prius at 1 million cars but still that is quite shy of the 2.3 million fire starter Hyundai/Kia.

Originally Posted by pezzy669
So ~1 million trucks recalled over 3 separate independent makes (PimTac links), adding the in ~1.3 million over 4 independent makes (dishdude links) you get about the same number of fire risks from 7 manufacturers as you get from Hyundai/Kia alone.

So 7 manufacturers have a combined recall related fire risk total that is about equal to 1 manufacturer so its all hunky dory? Hyundai/Kia sold 2.3 million cars that they have admitted could catch on fire, next worst offender is the Toyota Prius at 1 million cars but still that is quite shy of the 2.3 million fire starter Hyundai/Kia.

I guess that's North Korean quality.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by dishdude
I guess that's North Korean quality.
lol.gif

I never said anything about North Korea - that was a reply to the post. I am fully aware Hyundai/Kia is a South Korean company.

I never said anything about North Korea - that was a reply to the post. I am fully aware Hyundai/Kia is a South Korean company.

Just joking around.

Originally Posted by dishdude

Just joking around.

Actually several S Korean companies were making parts in N Korea until puff face got mad at them over something …
I suspect that huge complex will open again - and with parts it is hard to trace the origin ...

Roll a 5 year old LG washer up to it … will leak enough water to deal with that ...

Again?
smirk2.gif

I realize that all brands can catch fire, but this seems to be way off the charts statistically, compared to other brands.

It was revealed during the Tesla fire drama that in fact every make and model of car has a certain amount of spontaneous combustion incidences. Just a natural hazard of chemical or electrical energy storage.

The only thing that matters is:

1. What is the rate of occurrence?
2. Is the rate of occurrence more or less than average?

Without that info, all you have is a bunch of nasty pictures and bombastic news stories without the relevant data.

as todays vehicles become more complicated with lots of unnecessary gadgets the risks of ops goes up!! gilrfriend traded her oil burning 13 malibu for a nice 18 kia optima assembled in west point georgia, everything about it says better than her malibu + it drives much better!!

I remember reading an article about 6 years ago that detailed that batteries, battery/starter cables, and evaporative emissions were responsible for most car fires.

Lamborghini and Ferrari both famously had issues with flames being shot out of the exhaust igniting vapors from the evap system and burning them to the ground.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
... Lamborghini and Ferrari both famously had issues with flames ...
So did Ford Pintos.

next worst offender is the Toyota Prius at 1 million cars but still that is quite shy of the 2.3 million fire starter Hyundai/Kia.

If faced with only these two choices, I'd still prefer to burn to death in a Hyundai/Kia rather than ever even be seen in a Prius.

I remember a while back BMW had a huge rash of fires in South Korea, so much that BMWs were forbidden from parking in underground, under building parking or parking garages in general. Traced to a bad design for the EGR cooler.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/24/south-korea-fines-bmw-10-million-over-several-engine-fires.html

One incident is noise. It could have been anything, a defect, damage from road debris, sabotage. Corroboration through multiple independent incidents though (like the BMW thing) is another thing though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back