Brand New 2015 F350 Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: jrmason
I think Ford recommends following the EVIC for oil changes which could be anywhere between 5k and 10-12k miles on the higher end. With the frequency of changes and the quantity of oil required at each change I would be bargain shopping for CJ4 10w30 and buying up stock. The only way high end oils make sense to me is for running extended drain intervals, but you must follow the EVIC for warranty reasons. Any 10w30 that meets the CJ4 requirement will work just fine.

On a side note, a friend of mine owns a 2nd generation 6.7. He was just telling me the service intervals for the transmission are 150k miles. To me, that's just crazy. Ive been around automatic transmissions that tow and by 50-60k miles there is a good bit of clutch material in the pan and the magnet and the fluid has turned color. 150k miles in a truck with 800 lb ft of torque that is designed to tow is torture on any fluid. Ford must really have a lot of confidence in their transmissions.
Probably the original owners will have sold or traded in their trucks before then. Not many people keep them that long.

True, but that has been the case for many years. Although diesel pick up owners tend to hold on to their trucks longer than the average vehicle. But speaking from the manufacturers side I would hope they wouldn't make their service recommendations based on the average length of ownership. That would be unfortunate.

The current engine/transmission offering is now available in the F650/F750 model trucks, yes its heavy duty capable. The 150,000 mi. interval doesn't bother me as this trans is thermostatically controled which allows for quicker warm-ups and stable temps while under load which should equate to much less wear.

F650/750 are medium duty trucks, and the tranissions and rear ends are geared shorter to compensate for the heavier GVWR.

The one thing I would be interested in is fluid type. The service intervals in the Allison's increased exponentially with the latest Allison 27101-CTCS TranSynd spec. Unfortunately so did the price so Im not sure if the operational costs changed for better or worse.

Originally Posted By: Olas
There must be enough space in an F350 to fit a drain pain, filter, and a couple of galln jugs.. I know I'm OCD but if it were my vehicle I'd be taking whatever I'd need along the way.
I keep coolant hoses, a water pump, thermostat, auxiliary belt, alternator, distributor, arm cap plug and leads in the scirocco along with a dedicated car tool kit in the scirocco because I can, and because I really hate waiting for recover trucks
wink.gif
lol

Also, don't be tempted to try adding TCW3 to your fuel, it's a false economy and a placebo. If you must try an additive 2EHN is the only way to go, at a rate of 1ml/litre.
2EHN increases cetane number and reduces ignition delay - people report smoother idle, more power, less smoke and better MPGs

Even if you didn't want to go to this ^ extent you could at least bring the oil and/or filter to a shop. That wa you know the correct materials are being used. This is what I would do if I couldn't change it myself and had a specific oil and filter I wanted to be used. That way if they don't carry it(most won't carry a filter I want at the least) my vehicle is still getting what I want in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back