Brand new 2006 Scion xB - What oil/filter to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CDTMAZDA3,

I've been doing my Scion xB homework. I've also researched other comparable vehicles, including:

Honda Civic
Toyota Corolla
Toyota Matrix
Mazda 3

Overall, styling aside, the xB fits the bill perfectly: tons of standard features, awesome fuel economy, lots of room, etc.

I went to a local Scion dealership to test drive one and didn't have much complaints. It'd be a great daily commuter
smile.gif

I know it's not a horsepower monster, but that's the last of my priorities. I don't like going fast anyway, I cruise between 65-70mph on the highways. I feel like an old man driving, and to think I'm only 25 years old
wink.gif

I'm going to use regular dino oil until the car is well broken in. My plan is to switch to synthetic between 1,500-5,000 miles

myke

M1 should do just fine for 5000 mile oil changes. I do not think it matters what filter you use! If you want it to last 7-10 years do not even think about 5000 or more miles on dino oil in that engine!! 3000 miles OCI is plenty for dino in that engine! If you use dino oil consider a 10W30 that way it is will not be 20Wt after 1500 miles!

quote:

Originally posted by IBJanky:

quote:

Originally posted by bobo:
Then just buy a good quality dino oil if you're going to change your oil that often. And stick with an OEM filter during the warranty period. It was put on the car for a reason.

I've also considered using dino oil.

Can a dino oil last 5,000 miles though?

The dino oils easily available to me is Chevron Supreme and Havoline. I wonder if these would last 5,000 miles without anything added (Lube Control, etc.)

myke

Abosolutely. Run the Chevron supreme or Havoline.

break in on OE oil for 1000 miles, switch to pennzoil or havoline 5 or 10w-30 dino oil for about 4000 mi. At 5k miles, switch to M1 5 or 10w-30 and a toota or denso first time fit filter.

Good to go.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by IBJanky:

quote:

What makes you think that 1,500 to 5,000 miles is an appropriate distance before switching to synthetic? My gut feel is it should be more like 15,000 or 20,000.

That's a myth

You can switch to synthetic at any time, although some cars would benefit using dino oil during the break-in period.

myke

If you read enough here I think you'll see that this issue isn't as crystal-clear as you may think. Some engines do benefit from running conventional oil for the first 10,000 - 20,000 miles to help promote a complete break-in. Certain Nissan engines spring to mind and lots of Subaru owners {including me) feel it's better to wait until after 10,000 miles before switching over to synthetic.

That's the reason I said what I did because the debate rages on Maxima.org with respect to switching 6th Generation Maximas over to synthetic right away. Personally I wouldn't do it; I would run the engine in for some time first. But I guess there is a difference between a high compression, 3.5 litre, DOHC Maxima engine and a 1.5 litre Scion engine.

quote:

But I guess there is a difference between a high compression, 3.5 litre, DOHC Maxima engine and a 1.5 litre Scion engine.

you think?

one is a performance engine while the other is an econobox
wink.gif

myke

I have a 05 Scion xB. I am planning on getting the 3 free dealer oil changes at 5k miles(or 6 months)interval, and then either do a oil analysis of the 3rd dealer change, and/or see what others are getting for this engine. I am still looking for data that supports this engine is hard on oil.

The Scion xB is a great urban utility vehicle- I find it very confortable for running arround town and I got 31.5 mpg (Automatic & mostly city) the last time I checked. At the last oil change at 4.6k , it had not burned any oil.

How many other xB owners can we smoke out?

I'm adding 3 oz maintenance dose of A-Rx as a precautionary measure. If I use up the 25 qts or so of syn blend and group III synthetic, who knows, M1 could be in my future?

I have a 2005 Scion tC which is coming up on my comfort level for the first oil change at 1k or so. Haven't decided which oil to use but have a bunch of Maxlife 5W30 to use in something. I will probably use the three free oil changes but bring my own oil. The local Toyota dealer doesn't sell Scion and is not very progressive in general so doubt they use anything special in oils but I do like getting OEM filter, don't like anyone fooling with my car though. UOAs do indicate that Toyotas love M1 though, so maybe I'll buy yet more oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back