Brand New 2.4 Outlander loud tick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
From pick up it had loud ticks, loudest I have heard from any new vehicles I have purchased.
2400 kms in the FF I changed the oil filter from stock to a Fram Ultra and what happened, the ticks are almost gone now its quieter than my 2011 Elantra was.
Could the filter have been faulty or is the stock Mitsu oil filter just that [censored]?

Now I am super glad to have changed the filter, I wish I did it the day I picked it up though.

Originally Posted By: Koz1
Now I am super glad to have changed the filter, I wish I did it the day I picked it up though.

You want to change the filter on a brand new vehicle???

I have had other vehicles run 0w20 and not even close to that loud.
Changing the filter fixed the issue.

Did you read the posts?

Reading the posts doesn't fit with his agenda, LOL! Which is to recommend you run 10w-30 at the "thinnest"
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That loud tick is from the 0W-20.

You aren't serious I hope?

I'd cut it open AT the dealership after letting them know what went on. But, the tick didn't hurt a thing and if an after market filter fixed it then no harm no foul.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I'd cut it open AT the dealership after letting them know what went on. But, the tick didn't hurt a thing and if an after market filter fixed it then no harm no foul.

And how do we know the tick didn't hurt "a thing"?

Im going to take it to the dealer tomorrow explain the situation and see what they say.

From pick up it had loud ticks, loudest I have heard from any new vehicles I have purchased.
2400 kms in the FF I changed the oil filter from stock to a Fram Ultra and what happened, the ticks are almost gone now its quieter than my 2011 Elantra was.
Could the filter have been faulty or is the stock Mitsu oil filter just that [censored]?

Did it not do it on the test drive?

I asked on the test drive they said the 2.4s make these sounds.
It got louder which made me consider then change the filter.

Im going to take it to the dealer tomorrow explain the situation and see what they say.

I would have taken it to the dealer before I changed the oil filter and had them actually hear it. Describing it after the fact IMO is not going to cut it. I'm still interested in reading about what they tell you. Good luck tomorrow.

I was going to wait till tomorrow but I had to drive 800 kms and couldnt listen to it anymore. As well I have to drive 1400 kms round trip tomorrow afternoon and Tues, if the dealer dosnt want to give me their time which is likely an extra 2200 kms on the filter was very undesirable.

Glad the filter solved it! I'm surprised that the factory filter was noisy. Seems like it would be the other way around.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Did you read the posts?

Reading the posts doesn't fit with his agenda, LOL! Which is to recommend you run 10w-30 at the "thinnest"
grin.gif

15w40 in the winter and 20w-50 in the summer. Otherwise, engines can't make it to 20K miles with this modern water oil.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
15w40 in the winter and 20w-50 in the summer. Otherwise, engines can't make it to 20K miles with this modern water oil.

Why would you say that? You must know how untrue that statement is. People come to BITOG for factual help. Not for fiction. Many new members don't have a lot of automotive savvy, and take what is said here at face value. The last thing they need is someone with extreme bias spouting off something with absolutely no basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back