brand-discriminating tracer additives

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
car is a 1983 Mercedes benz 300D-turbodiesel...

My other guess is that there are traces of junk that are getting cleaned by the oil and if that old junk was formed by moly-containing oil, perhaps thats why?

Engine is really strong, and I dont think the analysis was in any way bad. I just dont know why I saw moly in it...

Thanks

JMH

Hi,

I understand that sometimes when an oil is sold under various names, but all made by one oil company, an additive tracer is added to be able to distinguish. Is this often the case?

Does anyone know if this is done with the Delvac1 / Cat Full synth 5w-40 (whose msds is supplied by exxonmobil)? I as this because my analysis for my 83 diesel shows 11ppm of moly in the oil. This is after the second drain of D1. The only difference was the first fill was d1 from a canadian wal-mart, and the second was caterpilliar full synthetic 5w-40. Overall my car had these two fills in for 10k miles.
I knwo that mobil-branded delvac 1 has no moly, according to the VOAs on this site. So thats why Im wondering if CAT maybe adds moly as a tracer. (I had rotella T in there before, which doesnt have moly, so there were three fills at least with no moly additions...

Any info would be appreciated. thanks

JMH

Do you have any other UOAs? Could be ring wear
dunno.gif

I've never heard of adding moly for the reasons you specified

[ June 04, 2003, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Jason Troxell ]

What kind of car/engine is this? The moly could be coming from the rings or piston coatings.

I've never heard of it being used that way. usually either wearing off what another oil left, or wear from the rings.

Oil companies use everything from different shades of dyes and additives to chemical tracers.

However, I doubt any of the chemical tracers I am aware of would ever show up in a run-of-the-mill VOA or UOA under $200.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back