braking on snow: summer tyres, summer tyres with chains and winter tyres

3 identical cars, none seemed to have any issue to get up to 30 mph (ish). Don't think we have ever discussed the benefits of snow chains. I question they can replace decent winter tyres, but maybe they can still complement them.

3 identical cars, none seemed to have any issue to get up to 30 mph (ish). Don't think we have ever discussed the benefits of snow chains. I question they can replace decent winter tyres, but maybe they can still complement them.

Most car forums don't see benefits of chains. They just say use winter tires.

Not all chains are created equal. The "D" shaped cross-section chains have edges which bites into the groomers. Versus circular cross sectional chain members. Ladder style chains don't have the continuous bite into the snow and ice like a diagonal or diamond pattern.

Back when I lived up a steep hill... with Nokian Hakka RSI's I had no control when going down the hill on packed snow....brakes did nothing since gravity overwhelmed the tires. Add chains.. and ABS helps maintain the speed going down the same hill with the same conditions.

In certain states AND certain countries around the world, chains may be required per road conditions regardless if you have 3PMS friction tires or not.

If the law tells me I need to put on chains on top of my 3PMS tires... I'll be ready.
Peerless Auto-trac snow chain practise fitting by thisistan, on Flickr

What kind of chains did they use? Cables are worthless.
Not all cables are created equal though.

The cheap "roller" cables are useless.

The wire wrapped cables from SCC (Peerless) are actually useful, since the wires product a lot more biting edges. Cable chains aren't common in Europe though. Europe tends to prefer link type chains

ZP_1.jpg

The wire wrapped cables from SCC (Peerless) are actually useful, since the wires product a lot more biting edges. Cable chains aren't common in Europe though. Europe tends to prefer link type chains

Any thoughts on autosocks? I have a set of chains for the focus when I go through CO and UT if their winter laws are in affect on top of my winter tires but the manual states that chains are not recommended on the focus because of the relatively poor wheel to fender liner clearance.

Any thoughts on autosocks? I have a set of chains for the focus when I go through CO and UT if their winter laws are in affect on top of my winter tires but the manual states that chains are not recommended on the focus because of the relatively poor wheel to fender liner clearance.
Never used them. And Consumer Reports doesn't like them because they are a PITA to install.

I have used chains on a lowered car before.

4664DD07-3E05-4AAE-A22F-170B6F47EC66_zpsbogbjrnx by thisistan, on Flickr

8D1626A5-8E61-4415-8BB8-BB389B649982_zpswimatpxd by thisistan, on Flickr

we might get some snow after new year, temps are definitely dropping then. Wish there would be a light dusting on january 4, that means a slow day at the dealership as nobody makes it there, except idiot me on 3pmsf tyres...

What kind of chains did they use? Cables are worthless.

I put the cheapest roller cables that SCC made on all 4 wheels of my Corolla, and proceeded to go through 4" snow and then a down a steep hill of wet ice. At the bottom of the hill there were 5 cars (and suv's) that had been ping-ponging against each other, the drivers were all out of their cars exchanging insurance information. They paniced when they saw me coming down the hill, and tried to wave me off.

I drove calmly past them, weaving around the scattered cars, and right up the next hill, which was also wet ice. At the top of that hill was a long line of cars that knew better than to go down the hill.

sm_6x4_61RLzVZJPNL._AC_SL1002_.jpg

I put the cheapest roller cables that SCC made on all 4 wheels of my Corolla, and proceeded to go through 4" snow and then a down a steep hill of wet ice. At the bottom of the hill there were 5 cars (and suv's) that had been ping-ponging against each other, the drivers were all out of their cars exchanging insurance information. They paniced when they saw me coming down the hill, and tried to wave me off.

I drove calmly past them, weaving around the scattered cars, and right up the next hill, which was also wet ice. At the top of that hill was a long line of cars that knew better than to go down the hill.

View attachment 38047
Those are not roller cables that SCC didn't produce and warned against.

roller cables look like this below:

TC2029_10_1000.jpg

back in the 70's used typical chains on my 72 chev nova rear drive + in deep snows around a foot it was a TANK. AWD means little without proper footware !! real snow tyres excel besides having the best thread they are softer in cold temps where snow happens. its said under 45 degrees all season BUT winter rubber begins hardening!!!

Speed and dry pavement are the worst part of chains. Otherwise they can do some amazing stuff in deep snow, and ice. Winter tires are the only way to go 99% of the time in the winter. Chain installation is beyond a story all in itself. Even people in Texas would have loved to have had traction recently. Just like shoes, I would never venture out into the snow wearing flip-flops and shorts like so many people tend to do.

Last edited:
Back