Brakes on the "Bluesmobile" - the final update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings and good day to all in the land of the perpetual "Bitog"

Finally got a free afternoon and decided to tackle the brake/no brake problem on the ever faithful "Bluesmobile."

Step one: Headed to a local "U-pull-it" junkyard and found a similar vintage automobile. Upon inspection of said automobile, I have to believe that before it came to live it's final days in the junkyard, they had just done a brake job on this automobile. Shoes looked brand new and the drums didn't have a spot of rust on them. I removed shoes and drums and paid 20 bucks for the whole set up, (eight dollars per drum and 1 dollar per shoe).

Step two: Upon arrive back home, I jacked up the every faithful "Bluesmobile," removed the rear wheels, removed the old drums and removed the old brakes.

Step three: Opened bottle of "Adult beverage" and consumed said beverage while studying the situation.

Step four: Installed drivers side shoes. This took some time as I didn't quite remember how all the springs and such lived and moved and had their being. This called for rumination, aided of course, by an "Adult beverage." After several different configurations, success.

Step five: Passenger side. This went much quicker as I had, a: just done the drivers side and so had a general idea and a ready reference as to how things should go, and b: I didn't drink an additional "Adult beverage."

Step six: Installed rear wheels, took the ever faithful "Bluesmobile" off the jacks and put all my tools away.

Step seven: While not a necessary step, a celebratory "Adult beverage was consumed."

Step eight: The moment of truth. Key in the ignition, the customary shout out the side window, "Clear Prop!!" Engine barks to life and reverse is selected. Gently, I apply the brake pedal. Wow, I had forgotten what working brakes feel like. This is cool. This is really cool. A happy journey around the neighborhood with working brakes brings a smile to my weathered face which culminates at MacDonald's and a hot fudge Sunday.

Success is sweet indeed.

Thank you all for your support, ideas and guidance in what I like to call, this non-stop quest for stoppage.

I enjoy your posts, always interesting! Getting it fixed for next to nothing feels great!

PS. The adult beverages dont hurt ; )

Last edited:
any reason you make multiple threads for the same subject instead of just extending a thread you already made for the same issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back