brakes delaminated

Status
Not open for further replies.
virbrakes.jpg

Amazingly these brakes from my bike (XV750) still worked. Freewheeled fine, locked up when you got on it, just felt "warped" (pulsating) at mid level. Probably original from 1982. Linings measure like new... just the glue let go sometime in storage.

On another forum it was postulated this sort of thing happens quite a bit in jolly old England due to the humidity.

I had a pad delaminate off the backing plate on a car once. The pad was only a few years old and not even close to worn out. Every time the pad would shift out a little farther the brake pedal would drop to the floor. At least with the brake in the picture the pad is kind of contained and can't get out from under the pressure being put on it like a disc brake.

I got new ones on ebay and they are in the mail. Of course one set costs 2x as much as an entire axle's worth for a car.
smirk2.gif
I agree that it wouldn't have killed them to put a couple rivets in.

I find myself wondering if the lining stuck with the shoes or spun like a spun rod bearing. I think the former since the metal shoe backing isn't rubbed shiny.

BTW you can't ask for a simpler drum! No parking brake, no (internal) adjuster, no hydraulics, no big hub in the middle, no rust interfering with removal.
wink.gif

That's pretty common on bikes,especially those that sit around for a while,or work in a wet environment like a farm bike.I think that the lining,being porous absorbs water,then corrodes the alloy beneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back