Brakes are grabby...

My 02 Chevy Express 1500 conversion van - sometimes (50%) of the time when I first start off and just tap the brakes lightly the front wheels will lock up. After a few applications of the pedal it stops and goes back to normal. Have had a shop check them and they have plenty of pad and said all looked good. I had the brake fluid flushed, still doing it.

I'm thinking the calipers need to be rebuilt.

What do you guys think?

This happened to me whenever mine got wet. Found out fluid was leaking into the shoes (in my case), and then when a little water got on them it was so quick to lock up. New cylinders and shoes fixed it for me.

Try that first few times pressing the brakes with the van not moving. If the pedal changes is probably the power booster.

Calipers sticking? I don't know those calipers, but I've had that happen when the pins get cruddy inside - worn out grease, torn hats that let water in, etc.

yeah, something is sticking. Most likely the piston is being braked by the boot or the piston seal, and not retracting properly until some heat gets into it but it can also be brake pads sticking or slide pins.

Back