Brake squeal- Rotor wear

2013 tundra. Front brakes are squeaking/squealing when stopping and also when pedal isnt depressed. Passenger side rotor is showing a few fresh wear grooves but the pads have plenty of life..

could it be a Stuck caliper? what is causing the wear rings on the rotor

Yeah a stuck caliper can cause the rings on the rotor. It could squeak most of the ones I’ve dealt with is more of a rubbing noise though.

The front calipers are a fixed design so they are easy to inspect and service if you have a pair of channel locks and pliers. The pads could also be seized onto the pins since it is an open design. Probably needs a simple cleaning and regrease job.

2013 is pretty early for a stuck caliper. As others have posted, clean and lube what you have.
The fixed caliper brakes on the GS350 F Sport are legendary for squeaking.
Don't ask me how I know...

Good luck.

Yeah a stuck caliper can cause the rings on the rotor. It could squeak most of the ones I’ve dealt with is more of a rubbing noise though.
Thanks

I think this is it, i do have a rubbing noise also

I live on the coast and had some saltwater from a bad storm get as high as the rotors last fall. Guessing the salt is causing the issue.. Will get it disassembled, cleaned and lubed.

Remove the brake pads and turn the wheel by hand. Any noise at all is likely a bad bearing (bearing noise gets worse with the weight of the truck on it). Flood water will damage them.

brake pins seem to be ok, noticed the seals on the caliper pistons are bad. Is this likely causing a piston to to stick and causing the issue

Am I better off replacing entire caliper vs trying to rebuild the original one with seals

I’d rather rebuild than get a reman, but if it the piston is not rusted up then it may be just a few parts to rebuild. Comes down to time I’d think.

Are you talking about the rubber boots around the piston? Getting water into the piston area can cause rust and cause the piston to stick, yes.

I’d rather rebuild than get a reman, but if it the piston is not rusted up then it may be just a few parts to rebuild. Comes down to time I’d think.

Are you talking about the rubber boots around the piston? Getting water into the piston area can cause rust and cause the piston to stick, yes.
yes, the dust boots on the pistons are all ripped/split

Definitely rebuild them if you are able to do it. Tundras have excellent, top-quality brakes. Plenty of stories or posts here about them... My brother has a Tundra, bought new, and did the first brake pad change on it at 150k miles ! I mean, that's more a testament to the factory pads and rotors, of course. It's his work truck too and tows tool trailers, bobcat rentals, and a decent size boat (for pleasure).

I had brake noise without brakes applied.
The friction material was lifting off the backing pad and rubbing the rotor without the brakes applied.

Back