Brake Shoe Disposal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a spare pair of old brake shoes to reeplace my suspected brake-fluid contaminated pair, I found I'd also kept the pair that prompted the last replacement, which have detached linings.

If I was in India I might be able to get a "brake shoe wallah" to glue them back on, but here I can't think of a reason to keep them.

Are there any special arrangements in place in the US (say in California) for disposing of brake shoes?

Its a fair bet there won't be any here, but if there are any elsewhere it might indicate a need for care.

Here there's usually a core charge on drum shoes even when buying new shoes. Likely to provide cores back to the manufacturing companies for the lower priced remanufactured lines of shoes that don't use new steel. I can't remember ever buying a set of brake shoes that didn't require a core here. Disc brake pads just get discarded. I'm sure some communities would collect them as part of "hazardous waste" considering old linings might contain asbestos. I've never had that issues as I've always turned them in as cores to be rebuilt for someone else.

See if the local salvage/junk yard will take them. Steel is steel. The scrap I see being loaded on trucks is composed of just about everything on a vehicle except glass, rubber and plastic which can't be loaded with a magnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back