Brake pad stopping power! Wagner ThermoQuiet Semi-metallic

After going through a good number of sub-standard brake pads for my Jaguar, I finally found a quality set of "non race" pads with high friction ratings that actually perform. The Wagner ThermoQuiet Semi-Metallic pads with the "Wagner OE25™ zero-copper friction formulation". They are accurately G-G friction rated. I've got to say, they are exactly what I was looking for. I tried Centric Ceramic pads, and a few other brands of Ceramic. In an emergency, I also purchased some "duralast" semi-metallics from AutoZone that were FF rated. None were able to slow the car well or even engage the ABS at speed, as they did not produce adequate friction. These Wagner pads flat out ROCK. They bite smoothly, fast and hard, with very modest pedal pressure, and are fantastic hauling the car down from high speed. In an age of ubiquitous, underperforming Chinese brake pads with fancy names, these Wagner's stand apart as a quality product.

If you are looking for a commercially available brake pad with the highest friction levels, these make a good choice. I'll put them on my F150's next.

I2C5oME.jpg

1672754294926.jpeg

Last edited:
Let us know how they treat the rotors. The quality of brake pads is amazing broad and finding a decent aftermarket set is difficult.

Glad you found something that works. In my experience semi-metallic pads are the best for bite.

Ceramic pads seem to be iffy. Just last week I was going to put a new set of pads on our E90. I put Textars on it 20K miles ago and although they perform well the brake dust is horrendous. On a whim I ordered some Akebono Euro pads. They're ceramic. But after buying it seems Akebono ceramics get a pretty bad rap for low bite. I returned them and have a set of Jurids arriving today. I've run Jurids before and even though they dust, they dusted far less than the Textars.

Anyway, I'm glad you and your Jag are happy.

Scott

Not really applicable, but I put a set of the ceramic ones on my sons RIO in signature. They are actually really good. I was surprised at the price (it was like $25 for the front set.)

What Jaguar is that, cujet? I have trouble believing you can't lock the brakes and then some.

Modern cars try to avoid locking, you have to push through the brake force distribution regulation. It's quite obvious when they do that if you know about it, more pedal pressure doesn't result in more stopping power. but persevere and you can push through it and lock all 4s

Reactions: Pew
Sorry I did not take pics of the surface. It's pretty standard looking, with obvious metal content. Flat out great compound for excellent friction.

This is what they look like.

eyJ3aWR0aCI6NDM1LCJoZWlnaHQiOjQzNSwiZml0IjoiY29udGFpbiIsIndhdGVybWFya2VkIjp0cnVlLCJmb3JtYXQiOiJ3ZWJwIiwia2V5IjoiYXNzZXRzL2ltYWdlcy8xMDYyMDcyNC9wcm9kdWN0L2FlN2RjMzVmZGY3Y2M3Y2QzNjMyMjIwOWYxYTI1MDZiLmpwZyIsInZlcnNpb24iOjJ9.webp

I have used the Wagner Thermo Quiets in the past and found them to be an excellent product. Worked very well on Ford and Hyundai.

What Jaguar is that, cujet? I have trouble believing you can't lock the brakes and then some.

Modern cars try to avoid locking, you have to push through the brake force distribution regulation. It's quite obvious when they do that if you know about it, more pedal pressure doesn't result in more stopping power. but persevere and you can push through it and lock all 4s
It's my X-Type. Yes it has ABS, but the RF sensor is intermittently showing failed. Waiting on one. Matters not, the brakes won't engage ABS or lock with weak pads.

Glad they are working for you. I have them on my Montero and do not like them. The TQ pads are very hard, not very smooth and lack pedal feel. The braking seems very non linear as well. I had Akebono pads on it previously and found them to be more to my liking. They probably did not bite as hard but if I need bite such as towing heavy loads I would go semi metallic. This is why we all have choices but glad you found them to work and thanks for sharing your experience with them.

After going through a good number of sub-standard brake pads for my Jaguar, I finally found a quality set of "non race" pads with high friction ratings that actually perform. The Wagner ThermoQuiet Semi-Metallic pads with the "Wagner OE25™ zero-copper friction formulation". They are accurately G-G friction rated. I've got to say, they are exactly what I was looking for. I tried Centric Ceramic pads, and a few other brands of Ceramic. In an emergency, I also purchased some "duralast" semi-metallics from AutoZone that were FF rated. None were able to slow the car well or even engage the ABS at speed, as they did not produce adequate friction. These Wagner pads flat out ROCK. They bite smoothly, fast and hard, with very modest pedal pressure, and are fantastic hauling the car down from high speed. In an age of ubiquitous, underperforming Chinese brake pads with fancy names, these Wagner's stand apart as a quality product.

If you are looking for a commercially available brake pad with the highest friction levels, these make a good choice. I'll put them on my F150's next.

I2C5oME.jpg

View attachment 133773
Thanks
I'm shopping for my 15 odyssey

I'm surprised more folks don't run EBC Yellowstuff for an aggressive street pad compound vs. the typical ceramic street compounds. I've found then to be excellent. Dusty for sure.

I have Yellowstuffs on the front of my '04 350Z and like them a lot. My '88 Supra is about to get a set.

EBC's Yellowstuff is nowhere near as dusty as Porterfield's R4. The R4 pads make up for the dust with incredible grip all day long no matter what. I will put up with dust and some noise for better performance.

I have Yellowstuffs on the front of my '04 350Z and like them a lot. My '88 Supra is about to get a set.

EBC's Yellowstuff is nowhere near as dusty as Porterfield's R4. The R4 pads make up for the dust with incredible grip all day long no matter what. I will put up with dust and some noise for better performance.
For sure....Yellows are not a track pad but they can handle some light track use by a n00b on street tires if things are kept reasonable. Really just a street pad. I run a hybrid street/track pad on my Sportwagen with the BBK and just swap a true track pad in for track days.

Well, @TiGeo, since neither car will ever be on a track, Yellowstuff is great for me. I just want a pad with tons of grip from cold to hot. Like you, I'd definitely use something else on the track.

Back