Brake Pad Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped buying parts store pads and ordering my pads/rotors online. For my 05 GTO I run DBA T3 rotors and Carbotech Bobcat 1521 pads, which is an awesome combo for such a heavy car. I also found that by ordering online I can order a full rotor and pads kit for my wife's car that is way better in quality and performance. Driving in Mexico city is very hard on brakes , so good brakes are a must. We have Autozone here but I don't like the quality of the stuff they sell and for the price I would pay just to do the fronts here I can order the front and rears in the states. Not to mention DOT 4 is dang near impossible to find, to make things even worse the OE VW stuff is more expensive here than in the the US even though most VW parts are made here. Since I have to go back to the States every 180 days its no big deal for me. All that being said I don't mind spending more $$$ for quality brake and being able to safely stop, than saving a few bucks and having an accident.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KenO
The parts stores sell house-brand pads because there is massive markup. Oreilly sells Wagner, and a few others have misc. The better name brands are typically left to the wholesalers for shops to use. The best parts, in general, are usually only available to specific suppliers.

Federal-Mogul has been doubling down on distribution not only to Pep Boys(via Carl Icahn) but also to Amazon. Federated had a deal with FM in place as well.

Roulunds Friction, part of the MAT Group who also owns the rights to the Bendix name in the Americas and makes Gabriel shocks has entered deals with the major auto parts retailers(AutoZone/O'Reilly/Advance) to supply their house brand pad program. Roulunds is the parent company of Dan-Block and they used to be proud of making their pads in Denmark. Now it's all Chinese or Indian.

I can get Akebono and Wagner at Advance Auto and NAPA. Haven't tried the any other brand. I did have good success with ceramic O'Reilly brand once. Lasted a long time and braked pretty good. Not Akebono good but close. I will want to try the Raybestos EHT3 since Fly seems to like them better.

I'm running Callahan ebay brakes and rotors on my sonata, they have been great and low dust.

Laugh if you want, but it was $70 delivered for 2 front rotors, and 2 front ceramic pads.

I indexed the rotors and torqued everything, no squeeks and good performance.

The calahan was a reboxed name brand brake rotor, I forget which one. I couldn't figure out what brand the pads were they seemed generic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back