Brake Job @ 26K On My GLC43

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a brake job this morning on it (pads only). Apparently, Mercedes uses ultra soft material to give better braking power which equates to minimal pad life. I do not hammer the brakes, but I am in stop and go traffic 5 days a week. The passenger pads have a sensor on them that when exposed to the rotor signals the computer to inform the driver to check the pads. It lit up about 2 weeks ago and gave me time to shop for pads. Locally, the cost for front and rear pads was over $600 + tax. Found the part numbers for the front and rear pads plus 2 sensors and ordered online for $220 to the door. I searched to see if I could find harder pads, but did not have any luck finding non-MB pads. Out of curiosity, I inquired about the price for the dealer to do it and needed oxygen and some tequila after hearing the numbers.

The job took about an hour per wheel (I was not rushing) and was really straightforward AFTER I learned how to "unlock" the electronic emergency brake in the computer for the rear brakes. After that, it was lug nuts, a retaining clip, two caliper bolts, and one bolt to hold the wear sensor harness. The front brakes had no bolts (the calipers remain on the car) and you simply tap out two retaining pins, use a large screw driver to gain some clearance and simply pull the pads out. All in all, I saved a bundle, but I am not impressed with the life of the pads and some of the other wear items on the car. It is built like a tank and the management of the engine and its performance along with that of the transmission are stellar--the brake pads and tires not so much.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
I did a brake job this morning on it (pads only).

Out of curiosity, I inquired about the price for the dealer to do it and needed oxygen and some tequila after hearing the numbers.

Wonder how those Mercedes owners out there who DON'T do their own work ( 99 % of them ... ) feel about needing a $$$ brake job at 26 k miles. That's only 2 years of average driving ...

Reactions: JC1
Originally Posted by geeman789
I did a brake job this morning on it (pads only).

Out of curiosity, I inquired about the price for the dealer to do it and needed oxygen and some tequila after hearing the numbers.

Wonder how those Mercedes owners out there who DON'T do their own work ( 99 % of them ... ) feel about needing a $$$ brake job at 26 k miles. That's only 2 years of average driving ...

Same way I felt when I had my Accord's rear brakes done at 25k miles. Chicago driving. Same as OP, stop and go.

Thats how it goes with those heavy cars. When I was at the MB dealer (02-06) , every ML500 would need brakes with their 20k service. Back then it was covered under the maintenance plan so we loved them. Cheap gas, cheap leases, easy warranty work! The only aftermarket pads my suppliers show for the rear is Akebono EUR1872 and TRW's new ceramic TPC1872

The front brakes had no bolts (the calipers remain on the car) and you simply tap out two retaining pins, use a large screw driver to gain some clearance and simply pull the pads out.

That sounds like "Brembo" style brakes. Does it have an inboard and outboard piston (or multiple pistons) ? Seems odd to have this style on the front but not on the rear though.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
The front brakes had no bolts (the calipers remain on the car) and you simply tap out two retaining pins, use a large screw driver to gain some clearance and simply pull the pads out.

That sounds like "Brembo" style brakes. Does it have an inboard and outboard piston (or multiple pistons) ? Seems odd to have this style on the front but not on the rear though.

Multiple pistons on the front. My guess is the electronic emergency brake prevents that design on the rear.

Originally Posted by Audios
Thats how it goes with those heavy cars. When I was at the MB dealer (02-06) , every ML500 would need brakes with their 20k service. Back then it was covered under the maintenance plan so we loved them. Cheap gas, cheap leases, easy warranty work! The only aftermarket pads my suppliers show for the rear is Akebono EUR1872 and TRW's new ceramic TPC1872

My Powerstroke weighed far more than my GLC coupe and the brakes would have lasted to 100K easily. It is the soft brake compound causing the accelerated wear versus the weight of the car. These brakes create a ton of dust, much more than any car I have ever owned.

My Powerstroke weighed far more than my GLC coupe and the brakes would have lasted to 100K easily. It is the soft brake compound causing the accelerated wear versus the weight of the car. These brakes create a ton of dust, much more than any car I have ever owned.

It is high performance pad, it will not last long in that driving regime.

I can attest to the quality of the Akebono pads. I have them on my ML550 and my CL600. The brake dust is almost non-existant. The front rotors needed replacement on both vehicles. I went with Zimmerman rotors and sent them to Cryogenics International for freezing. I have been quite pleased. I can't offer any comment on the life of the components since the worn pieces were on the cars when I bought them. Just for an independent data point the Akebono pads for the front of the CL were $69 on Amazon.

EUR1872 rear pads for your car are $76

Dave

Last edited:
I have seen it go the other way also, hard pads burn the rotors up before the pads are nowhere near worn out,
Years ago when rotors even for domestic were very expensive and turning them was popular the softest pads were the most desirable. I am talking the 70's.

Originally Posted by DrDave
I can attest to the quality of the Akebono pads. I have them on my ML550 and my CL600. The brake dust is almost non-existant. The front rotors needed replacement on both vehicles. I went with Zimmerman rotors and sent them to Cryogenics International for freezing. I have been quite pleased. I can't offer any comment on the life of the components since the worn pieces were on the cars when I bought them. Just for an independent data point the Akebono pads for the front of the CL were $69 on Amazon.

EUR1872 rear pads for your car are $76

Dave

As I stated numerous times here, had Akebono POS once and NEVER again.
I literally blew stop sign with them how poor response was (they were bedded in, just in case someone comes and say: well, you should now it takes time).

Originally Posted by edyvw

It is high performance pad, it will not last long in that driving regime.
From my point of view, there is something inherently wrong with that. I have owned dozens of cars including Corvettes, Mustangs, and Trans Ams and none of them required a brake job with only 26K miles and all of them were driven in similar conditions. I have not found the AMG to have any more braking power (under my driving conditions) than the others, just far less pad life.

Originally Posted by Garak
Is it maybe all about them being as quiet as is possible?
Perhaps, they certainly do not squeal, then again, the billows of brake dust may act as a sound deadener.

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by Garak
Is it maybe all about them being as quiet as is possible?
Perhaps, they certainly do not squeal, then again, the billows of brake dust may act as a sound deadener.

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I think there might be other variables that require such compound. It is not like MB does not ahve access to dustless pads. Akebono supplies a lot of components to MB, they could supply ceramic ones too (just mentioning AK as theya re popular. ATE, TMD, TRW, all have ceramic compound.

I watch manufacturers switch back and forth between pad compounds from year to year (or less) on an individual vehicle, it's always to fix something - make them quieter, make less dust, less fade, it is always a compromise. Usually, I pick the dustier aftermarket pad that stops better and makes less noise, I don't mind changing them every 18 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back