Brake fluid tester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shop owner told me about a salesman who dropped in to demonstrate a guaranteed money-maker for the shop. This is a hand-held brake fluid tester. The salesman said that one could dip it into any master cylinder, and virtually guarantee a fluid change sale.
To prove his point, he asked for an unopened can of brake fluid.
After taking off the top, and removing the seal, he dipped his tester. Sure enough, it showed the new fluid as water-contaminated!!! And, it only cost about $60.

He was shown the door in about 10 seconds. But, maybe all shops aren't quite as reputable.

Hey - no politics here!
grin2.gif

Well either the new fluid was really contaminated with H2O or.....
06.gif

Midas shops use test stripes for brake fluid and coolant for ages. For BF the stripe tests the copper content and changes color. All stores are supposed to do this test for every car free of charge, as a part of a courtesy check routine (which is quite extensive).

I'm a franchisee and at the training I questioned the technique. It was explained that the brake lines inside are lined with thin copper layer that wears as the fluid is pushed back and force.
I couldn't sell this explanation to my manager though who believes that he didn't see any copper inside brake lines...

Anyway, the stripes technique for copper content is approved and supported by Midas. Stripes are not expensive.

Copper wears as the fluid is pushed back and forth?
Why wouldn't steel, phenolic, or rubber do the same?

I have used solid copper brake lines on a fork lift, but have not seen copper or copper lined ones in a car.

Why not steel? Don't know, but may be it was cheaper to make test stripes for copper?

Don't shoot the messenger, but if the technique was not flawless, I can't imagine Midas touching it with a pole, never mind pushing it... There should be something to it. Midas is very litigation- concious.

Originally Posted By: yugrus
[snip] but if the technique was not flawless, I can't imagine Midas touching it with a pole, never mind pushing it.

I can imagine that happening.

Testing brake fluid in the MC is meaningless when the heat damage & water migration takes place in the calipers & wheel cylinders. :no-no:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back