Brake fluid stains on tires

Hey all,

Here's a new one for you that I hope you can all help me with. Sooooooo a few weeks ago, one of my caliper piston seals decided to no longer seal and dumped brake fluid all over the tire. I got all of it off the paint before it did any damage but I tried degreasing the rubber tire and the stains won't come off :( is there any way of removing them? I just got these tires like 6 months ago.

Most of your modern tires have a UV protectant in the sidewall, those oils/chemicals will "ooze" out as the tire moves up/down over time. I remember seeing tires that got an odd "dirty brown" stain on the sidewalls, it was that UV protectant coming out. I hope someone else can explain this chemical process better than my explanation.

But.. I think @slacktide_bitog is saying the same thing, over time the sidewall compressing from moving up/down on the road will eventually replace the marks (probably oxidation) the brake fluid left behind. But first wash all the brake fluid off with soap (i'd use car wash soap) and water..

Hey all,

Here's a new one for you that I hope you can all help me with. Sooooooo a few weeks ago, one of my caliper piston seals decided to no longer seal and dumped brake fluid all over the tire. I got all of it off the paint before it did any damage but I tried degreasing the rubber tire and the stains won't come off :( is there any way of removing them? I just got these tires like 6 months ago.

Brake fluid cleans best with water, but maybe your part of Cali doesn't get much rain so carwashes and time are your friend

Back