Brake Fluid flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never flushed my brake fluid but just bought a Motive Pressure bleeder to perform the task. Does anyone know approx. how much brake fluid I need to do a complete flush for my car? (Honda Accord)

I have no idea if I need to find a gallon can of brake fluid or just a few of those small cans?

I doubt you will need more than a quart all in all. If you car needs DOT4 fluid, you can find a 1 quart bottle of very good Castrol GT LMA for around $10.

Last edited:
It will take more than a quart. Most times when I have done it, it has taken 2-3 quarts to get the fluid flushed fully clean and clear at all 4 wheels. Brake pistons hold more than you think.

1 quart is plenty. ~8 ounces bled from each bleeder is great. But, you should start by siphoning/refilling the master cylinder. If you an ABS pump with bleeder, you might have to bleed it too(5th bleeder).
So, buy at least 2 quarts. Better to bleed extra then not enough.

The service manual for my Mercedes specifies bleeding 250 ml from each corner every 2 years. This can serve as a reference point for your Honda.

is it really worth it?
I MAY do it on my 2001 F150 SuperCrew 5.4L this spring...
but on my 92 Galant or 01 civic? prob not.

Quote:

It will take more than a quart.

Only if you exchange the fluid only once every 10 years.
laugh.gif

Quote:

Quote:

It will take more than a quart.

Only if you exchange the fluid only once every 10 years.
laugh.gif

Better to have more than you need than not enough. System capacity may be around a quart but to do a flush it will take more. Some of the new fluid mixes with the old at the brake calipers. Takes more to fully flush the system and have 100% new fluid.

Obviously you should have more fluid handy that you expect to need. Just don't open the container before you know you'll need it.

On my car I never need a whole liter, but I exchange the fluid at least every two years. The more gunk (I've never seen more than slightly dark fluid come out) is in the calipers, the more fresh fluid and the longer it will take to get the fluid to run clear. I've used fluid with alternating colors, so I know that about 750 ml are sufficient. Of course, these numbers could be different for a different car.

Quote:

is it really worth it?
I MAY do it on my 2001 F150 SuperCrew 5.4L this spring...
but on my 92 Galant or 01 civic? prob not.

What prompted me was I just paid over 600 bucks (rotors shot too) at brakes plus for them to rebuild the wheel cyl. on my daughters 2001 Jetta. The fluid came out almost black. They said the moisture in it rusted the cyl's.

I would have tried to work on it for her but was freezing here the last few weeks.

My Accord's never been flushed and it's a 2000. So yes I think it's worth it.

Thanks for the info guys. I think I got an idea now.

i've also read some articles that say the latest news is it's copper, not moisture, that is the worst culprit.

The copper corrosion issue is a non-issue if your car requires a brake fluid change every couple years.

Do not depend on a pressurebleder to bleed your brakes.The best way to bleed brakes varies from car to car. I find that most Euro cars prefer a combinationof pressure bleeder andoldfashionedpump the pedal. Japanese cars respond to vacuum bleeders. American cars seem to work with the old fashioned pump the pedal. Flushing your brakes is definitely worth the effort. Annual brake flushes have some 30 year old cars on the original hydraulics. Castrol LMA brake fluid is good stuff.

This past December I switched from Valvoline synpower to ATE Superblue in preparation for a track day. A 1L can was a little more than enough to completely replace all of the gold synpower with blue-colored superblue. I usually do a 1qt/1L fluid replacement on my accord every 6 months, only because it sees 2-3 auto-x events every month...

Quote:

Do not depend on a pressurebleder to bleed your brakes.The best way to bleed brakes varies from car to car. I find that most Euro cars prefer a combinationof pressure bleeder andoldfashionedpump the pedal. Japanese cars respond to vacuum bleeders. American cars seem to work with the old fashioned pump the pedal. Flushing your brakes is definitely worth the effort. Annual brake flushes have some 30 year old cars on the original hydraulics. Castrol LMA brake fluid is good stuff.

why would the mity-vac not be a good choice?????
It is constant suction...never heard that one before.
fence.gif

Quote:

Can you add a syn brake fluid to regular brake fluid or do you need to flush and make it all the same type?

All brake fluid is synthetic. Any fluid that is DOT3, DOT4, or DOT5.1 is glycol and can mix with each other. DOT 5 is silicone and cannot be mixed with the other three.

be careful with some of the hi temp brake fluids(racing hi temp)I switched to ATE ssuper blue from the cehapo stuff for the racing season,coincedentially the ATE fluid ruined what was left of the already aging seals in my brake calipers.Needless to say having to pump up the brakes before cornering on a race track insnt fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back