Brake fluid...3 years but only 11K miles. Should I replace?

This is on my 2012 Honda Accord, which currently sits at 67,000 miles. I had the brake fluid replaced at the dealer 3 years ago, but I've only put 11,000 miles on it since then. Fluid looks very clear still, no signs of discoloration (I know that isn't the only marker). Should I be changing it out again since it has been 3 years? Or should I be good to push on a bit longer. The brake fluid has been changed twice since new, all under my ownership.

I wouldn't pay the dealer to do it, turkey baster the old fluid out of the reservoir, refill with fresh and have someone pump the brakes while you bleed the fresh fluid through. Super simple. Keep an eye on the reservoir level as you bleed.

Most 2012 vehicles are riding around on factory fluid, I wouldn't bother for another 2 years.

Last edited:
What site am I at? Bob is the dealership guy? I can do it much quicker in my driveway for $6.

If I try the dealer, they'll want me to drop it off...what a hassle. Or I can wait half a day while watching Ricki Lake in the waiting room.
Hmm ok. Take the wheels off, get a helper, and **** around with brake fluid for a few hours to save less than $100.

Have fun. I'll keep doing it my way.

Hmm ok. Take the wheels off, get a helper, and **** around with brake fluid for a few hours to save less than $100.

Have fun. I'll keep doing it my way.

Worth it, you get to inspect the brakes, steering, and suspension at the same time.

SOO much peanut gallery crap here: Why BITOG is so hit or miss...

Do this: every year, *or two* - drain or siphon the master cylinder and refill it. Easy peasy. I live in the PNW so it's every year. I sued to live in Fla., every other year would suffice.

No need to get down and dirty with wheels off and pimply wet work on the bleed nipples.

The fluids will mix and reduce contaminants. Physics.

SOO much peanut gallery crap here: Why BITOG is so hit or miss...

Do this: every year, *or two* - drain or siphon the master cylinder and refill it. Easy peasy. I live in the PNW so it's every year. I sued to live in Fla., every other year would suffice.

No need to get down and dirty with wheels off and pimply wet work on the bleed nipples.

The fluids will mix and reduce contaminants. Physics.

The same fluid stays in the lines, you need to break the bleeders open until fresh fluid flows through them. Brake fluid doesn't circulate through the system.

I think brake fluid replacement is over done. I have done it every ten years or so and never had a brake problem related to the fluid.

If it makes you feel better then change it. Changing 3 year old Brake Fluid isn't Overkill or expensive if you DIY

Back