Brake cleaner overysray in oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I was cleaning off the side of my Honda Accord motor with brake cleaner to get rid of oily residue from leaky cam and front crank seals, some of the overspray got into the valvetrain and probably some into the oil pan. Its not like I emptied a can of brake claner cleaning up side of the motor. I know that brake clean is a very powerful solvent. It took some of the varnish off the cam bearing cap. But there is a lot more oil than brake cleaner used. What is the likelihood that oil is damaged and should be changed? This is GC 0w-30 with 2700 miles on it.

Brian

I don't have an answer to your present situation. Seems maybe it would not be a problem, but don't know. Reason I am posting is that I found CRC QD Electronic Contact Cleaner works great for degreaser (wasp killer, tape stickum cleaner, etc) and it "leaves no residue" so should not affect the oil even if some gets in. Very gentle too as it can be used on plastic.

Brake Cleaner is highly volitile and should be gone within a few seconds. The stuff that it cleaned off is now in the oil, but I don't feel that is anything to worry about. At least I wouldn't worry about it.

In the future, make sure you buy the "non-chlorinated" brake cleaner. It's healthier for you. I use it to clean up my drain pans and, like you, any oil residue on the engine and related chassis parts from an oil change. The stuff isn't cheap ..but... does such a fine job, I can justify the expense.

I saw a small amount it on the surface of the oil in the valve train area for a few seconds, maybe it evaporatored. Thanks guys.

-brian

I usually buy the cheapeast I can find. I can get the GUNK brand at the local Rural King for $1/can. Usually the label reads "NOT FOR SALE IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA". Is the non-chlorniated stuff going to make me last longer or prevent any future children from having 6 fingers?

-brian

quote:

Is the non-chlorniated stuff going to make me last longer

Probably not ..but your quality of life near the far end of your motal existance can vary quite a bit. You don't need to add any free radicals to the abundance of those already present ..especially when you can avoid it. I would say the same thing if you willfully smoked only one cigarette a day. The choice is yours
smile.gif

quote:

or prevent any future children from having 6 fingers?

You make that sound like such a bad thing
grin.gif
. Oddly enough, my mother's family had some "sixth fingered" offspring in them. It usually showed up as an additional dysfunctional thumb that was typically amputated. There's a whole community up somewhere in New England (New Hampshire, I think) that have intermarried. Now the whole town is allegedly 6 fingered.
freak2.gif

The Sixth Finger

-

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:

quote:

Is the non-chlorniated stuff going to make me last longer

Probably not ..but your quality of life near the far end of your motal existance can vary quite a bit. You don't need to add any free radicals to the abundance of those already present ..especially when you can avoid it. I would say the same thing if you willfully smoked only one cigarette a day. The choice is yours
smile.gif

quote:

or prevent any future children from having 6 fingers?

You make that sound like such a bad thing
grin.gif
. Oddly enough, my mother's family had some "sixth fingered" offspring in them. It usually showed up as an additional dysfunctional thumb that was typically amputated. There's a whole community up somewhere in New England (New Hampshire, I think) that have intermarried. Now the whole town is allegedly 6 fingered.
freak2.gif

The Sixth Finger

-

Ponderous, man, really ponderous.

Is that six finger per hand????
lol.gif

Once the oil temp went up past 170 F the stuff evaporated.

I wouldn't be too concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back