Brake Bleeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

41JDDY3Z5QL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

What are you guys thinking about bleeder like this ?
I assume that you are connecting this to caliper and you are sucking fluid right ?

Originally Posted By: Ndx
41JDDY3Z5QL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

What are you guys thinking about bleeder like this ?
I assume that you are connecting this to caliper and you are sucking fluid right ?

I use my oil extraction unit with excellent results.
01.gif

Just suck out what you can from the master, then open the caliper with suction applied and refill the master when it comes close to being empty.

Once you get the color of the brake fluid to come out new you are done.

I start at right rear, then left rear, right front then left front.

Works great. I've done 4 vehicles in the last month in one day.

This is the unit I use for years. WELL worth the $$. --> oil extraction unit (click on the extraction then unit 1708) You can find them cheaper from other sellers online.

Bill

The vacuum type will work great.
Keep your master cylinder full! It empties faster than you think.
Be prepared and have a can to dump the fluid to from the small reservoir on the vacuum pump system - it doesn't hold much.

I used one of these last time I bled my brakes.

I hooked it up to the caliper and sucked fluid out. I noticed 2 things: somewhere in the line attached to the bleed screw (I think the end piece) was an air leak, which made it hard for me to see if there were air bubbles coming out of the brake lines. Also, the fluid on my car came out on it's own almost as fast as with the pump.

I ended up doing some with the pump and finishing with a gravity bleed. Overall I would say it wasn't really worth it. I ended up giving the pump away to a friend of mine.

I have heard good things about the motive pressure bleeder also.

I have motive bleeder... I'm not happy at all ... Universal Cap does not work with Mazda Reservoir ... And you need to clean it .. fill it .. Maybe im just special for some reason I don't like it ..

Is this good enaugh to get air from ABS unit ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jdeare
somewhere in the line attached to the bleed screw (I think the end piece) was an air leak, which made it hard for me to see if there were air bubbles coming out of the brake lines.

You loosened the bleed nut too much. Just enough to get fluid to move.

Gravity alone you do run a risk of getting air into the lines. A suction is the only way (other than a pressure on the master) to make sure no air in the brake line.

Take care, bill

Is this good enough to suck out air from Master/Abs Unit ?

Last edited:

Never used what is in the photo.

My unit does. Can only tell you want I've done. Not what something may do.

IMO the unit is too small. I don't want to keep emptying it all the time and loose the suction.

Take care, Bill

Aha! Thanks for the info. Although my brakes are much better than they were before I bled them so I'm not planning to do it again for a while.

NDX, yes I think so... my car has ABS and it seemed to work fine (except for the issue I mentioned above). Mine was from Autozone, but it seemed to be a relabeled Mityvac.

Last edited:
Thx Guys :) I have lots of air all over system :d I may pickup something stronger from Canadian Tire ..

Why not just use a short length of rubber hose, a catch jar and have an assistant pump the brake pedal?
Low tech, but it's worked for decades.

I use people. My daughter pumps the brake pedal on command, my wife keeps the master cylinder topped up and I do the rest. Too easy. Basic tools and its done quickly and properly everytime.

Oh ya, right rear-left rear-right front-left front.

Well ... I don't really have anyone to help me ... I mean like noone :p

I have motive bleeder... I'm not happy at all ... Universal Cap does not work with Mazda Reservoir ... And you need to clean it .. fill it .. Maybe im just special for some reason I don't like it ..

Is this good enaugh to get air from ABS unit ?

Huh? Just get the Mazda cap instead of trying to use the "universal" cap (which I agree is a waste of time). As far as cleaning goes, you need to clean any bleeder. If you're unhappy with the Motive, you'll be really unhappy with the little vacuum pump. I have both and I haven't touched the vacuum since I got the Motive.

Yeah ... I made my own :) ...
Well difference is that Motive has pretty big container .. But anyways ... I know that it is great product and works fell for others

I have a vacuum bleeder. About 90% of the time I use it, I draw air that makes its way past the bleeder screw threads. This basically makes it a useless procedure.

I one-man bleed by cracking the bleeder screw about 1/8 of a turn and pump away at the pedal. There's enough force on the downstroke to move the fluid out, while the upstroke slurps back little of the fluid.

Just bought and used a unit simililar to the one posted by ndx for use on my Mazda 3. Found it cheap and leaked fluid; not worth it in my opinion. May try the one recommended by Bill next year.

Depends on the car. Some cars require a special procedure and special tool to do the ABS Unit bleed, and some do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back