Brake bleed on a 2019 Mini

Nothing different on this 2019 Mini right? This might be the first car I've seen that actually has a light on the info tainment screen to says check/change brake fluid.

I'm just gonna grab some DOT 4, maybe even call up BMW or MINI and see their prices.

I've done plenty of bleeds in the past. Normally two-person method but I've gotten the air-powered HF suction one.

BMW has had an annoying 2 year brake fluid reminder light for the longest time. used to be a clock symbol on the cluster and luckily it was disabled in america. don't know why they overlooked that in your mini

Last edited:
It probably specs DOT 4 LV as all German makers have for years now. It is being adopted by other auto makers like Ford and Ford has specified DOT 4 LV in F150's for a few years now.

Many people still don't such a fluid exist or the difference. LV is low viscosity.

When it is very cold out, a less viscous brake fluid is better for the ABS pump motor and provides more reliable ABS and traction control.

The easiest place to find it today is O'Reilly's Auto Parts if one is local to you. Pentosin DOT 4 LV in a metal can, I liter, $19.99.

You could research Bosch brake fluid on Amazon which has a low viscosity but no mention of it being DOT 4 LV. That fluid is a bargain.

I cant believe they want you to change fluid after only 2 years
That seems like a really short interval for brake fluid
I think I would only check it to make sure it was at appropriate level

That seems like a really short interval for brake fluid
I think I would only check it to make sure it was at appropriate level
No. We change it every two years.

And for OP. Yes, make sure to use LV fluid. Not that expensive at the dealer. We only use pressure bleeders to change fluid.

it’s an ancient european habit. concerns about moisture and boiling point (lol)

copper test strips are the only way to tell if fluid is good or not. chances are this car will be fine

Last edited:
it’s an ancient european habit. concerns about moisture and boiling point (lol)

copper test strips are the only way to tell if fluid is good or not. chances are this car will be fine
Copper test strips - Interesting. Didn't know that. Now I know why people have gone years w/out exchanging their brake fluid.

Perhaps an inspection and TUV inspection is the real reason for the 2-yr interval in europe.

Last edited:
newer Hondas also have brake fluid as part of the MM. Before that, they just said every 3 years regardless of mileage. Speed bleeders are awesome :)

The easiest place to find it today is O'Reilly's Auto Parts if one is local to you. Pentosin DOT 4 LV in a metal can, I liter, $19.99.
Yup, seems in stock at my local one. $20 is a pretty simple choice.

Oddly enough O'reillys is always my last thought behind AZ,AAP, Napa for local. Maybe I need to move them up a little

It probably specs DOT 4 LV as all German makers have for years now. It is being adopted by other auto makers like Ford and Ford has specified DOT 4 LV in F150's for a few years now.

Many people still don't such a fluid exist or the difference. LV is low viscosity.

When it is very cold out, a less viscous brake fluid is better for the ABS pump motor and provides more reliable ABS and traction control.

You could research Bosch brake fluid on Amazon which has a low viscosity but no mention of it being DOT 4 LV. That fluid is a bargain.
Well. Dangit. I’ll bet I’ve got the wrong dot 4 in my 150. Its a 2018 - did the fluid a while ago when I replaced the pads looking for something with more consistent feel and performance. Element3 for the win. But didn’t know that about the LV formulation. Thank you!

It's a matter of where you live. The OP is in Chicago, so LV is beneficial.
If Southeast means it doesn't freeze much it probably doesn't matter.
BF is similar to oil - it's getting thicker when cold. LV fluid less so since
it's thinner in general.

it's thinner in general.
Also, as the fluid gets older, it absorbs moisture. Moisture contaminated brake fluid is significantly thicker below freezing. Have seen cars with really old brake fluid, and it’s like syrup at -20C.

it's thinner in general.

Not so sure about that, the lower viscosity can help at moderate temperatures aswell, as the pressure release time during ABS/VDC action is solely dependant on fluid viscosity. Depends how fast your ABS can cycle but recent systems can do 15 to 25 cycles per second.

BF viscosity gradually changes with temperature, so there's no certain threshold.
However it's safe to say BF choice (LV or not) matters most in cold environment.

Back