BP Marine grease, calcium sulfonate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!
This is my first post on this forum and it's going to be about some interesting grease I got.

A couple of months ago a friend of mine pulled two 18kg pails out from a scrap container. They where never opened and the label stated BP MP-MG 2 Calcium Sulfonate. (It's unbelievable that someone just binned two unopened pails of grease...
shocked.gif
But now I have 2x18kg of free grease
cool.gif
I wonder whether I'm able to use all that grease )
At that point I didn't know much about the grease. After some goggling I found out that the BP MP-MG 2 might be the same as CASTROL SPHEEROL SX 2 - the data sheets is almost the same. The BP data sheet don't say much about the the grease properties - what I mostly look for is the oil viscosity and the 4-ball weld test, and the BP don't say anything about that. It's interesting that the castrol data sheet does contain oil viscosity and 4-ball weld test.
Castrol: 180 cst, 4-ball weld test = 400kg

BP data sheet
Castrol data sheet

What do you think about this BP marine grease? Do you think it is good as a general purpose grease for cars, farm & logging equipment, others... ?

Last edited:
I think you found some excellent quality grease at an awesome price! Should work very well for general purpose use - wheel bearings, chassis lube, farm, logging equipment, etc... and have much better resistance to water washout.

The only thing that would concern me is thickener compatibility. Calcium sulfonate grease is borderline compatible with the much more common lithium grease. But considering you found 36 kg for free you have plenty on hand to regrease everything.

Nice find!

http://msdspds.bp.com/ussds/amersdsf.nsf/Files/A51D79F94D98F340802579CF0052710E/$File/114377Energrease%20MP-MG%202.pdf

The MSDS shows this is mostly base stock with some thickener. It should be a decent #2 grease for general purpose stuff. I doubt it's anything "special".

What can happen if a bearing is lubricated with a mix of calcium sulfonate and lithium grease that is "borderline compatible" ?

The farm equipment is greased with Texaco Molytex EP2 which is lithium-12-hydroxy-stearate with 3% moly, oil is 200 cst. I think it is far from ideal because the moly can create problems in ball and roller bearing - so far no problems yet but I'm planing to use the BP marine grease in all ball and roller bearings

Originally Posted By: UrS4
What can happen if a bearing is lubricated with a mix of calcium sulfonate and lithium grease that is "borderline compatible" ?

When greases are incompatible it causes the oil to fall out of suspension with the thickening agents. So the oil drains out and you're left with soap in the bearing.

"Borderline compatible" just means it only happens a little bit. So when you're greasing, keep pumping it until fresh grease pushes its way out the seals. That way you know you have almost entirely new grease in the bearing.

Originally Posted By: scurvy

"Borderline compatible" just means it only happens a little bit. So when you're greasing, keep pumping it until fresh grease pushes its way out the seals. That way you know you have almost entirely new grease in the bearing.

Thanks Scurvy!
Well that's good news. It'll be easy to see when the bearings is filled with fresh grease since the old grease is almost black
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back