Boycott Castrol !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I have been happy with Amsoil products, so no need to try another right now. I also look for the "Made in U.S.A." label. In 1987 I bought a brand new Ford Ranger pickup and had so many problems with it that I haven't bought another Ford since. The point I'm trying to make is that we have lots of choices, so word of mouth can really hurt a product if they false advertise or sell a product that misleads the consumer.
cheers.gif

I am still, despite you admission of attitude toward Castrol, trying to approach this in a helpful manner. In my opinion you are engaging in a "smear campaign" based only on assumption.

quote:

Originally posted by geeeman:
I HATE getting ripped off; and I hold a grudge. I am a businessman; I understand profit! I also know that if I cheated a customer...

You keep making the unsubtantiated assertion that Castrol cheated people. The courts didn't think so; Pennzoil, Chevron and Valvoline don't think so. Show me the data that proves that Castrol is massively overcharging for Syntec. Show me where it performs less ably than conventional oils or blends costing less. If you hate Castrol, fine, but don't encourage people to engage in a campaign for which you have no data or even support from the legal system.

quote:

We knew that Syntec was...over-priced for what it really was. In a sense, I am that customer who found out he'd been cheated.

Again, show me the financial and performance data that support your claims. Thinking people do not want an emotional "everybody knows..." appeal. Where is the data?

quote:

Until that unlikely day (maybe a class- action lawsuit would help)!!!, it IS a matter of principal.

The courts have already spoken once on this issue.

quote:

In this era of phenomenal motor oils, I have other options available, and I will not buy Castrol "synthetic" oil, regardless of the hype.( or facts... again...principal)

Fine, you have that right.

quote:

Enough ranting about GC...

That is indeed what you are doing. I really do hope you find an oil that you are pleased with. I just ask you please...if you are going to make accusations and start campaigns, bring some facts.

The ONLY determining factors in choosing an oil should be performance, price and availability. Nothing else, IMHO.

Patman,

Come on, you are taking all the fun out of it. Unsubstantiated rumors and feelings are the order of the day....Why confuse any issue with reason or with, my God, data?
shocked.gif

Dan

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
The ONLY determining factors in choosing an oil should be performance, price and availability. Nothing else, IMHO.

Guess we should apply that to all decisions we make, even a spouse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Morals, ethics be ****ed!

TSoA...you said:

"A whiney and emotional plea from a NOOB is hardly enough to make me pour out my 50 or so bottles of GC"...

Comment edited out by moderator.

C'mon...lighten up a little!!!

[ October 11, 2003, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Dan4510 ]

The smear campaign is no worse than the worship campaign.

The 5w50 Syntec had some good UOAs and noone jumped on it saying it was great, or went on 5w50 pilgrimages, or called it the elixir of life, or.......

Should I say that many other oils posted great UOAs and didn't get this nonstop praise.

Its Castrol marketing. Whats it say about being sold overseas on the back of the bottle? Is it because it is a groupIII that can't be sold under the definition anywhere else but here?

Can't wait to see multiple "winter" UOAs when cold start torture occurs.
Was the pour point listed in the VOA section yet? Lets see multiple 10-12k change UOAs.
Also, where are the turbo/supercharged engine 0w30 UOAs? track bandits/racers UOAs?

Everyone needs to take note, no personal attacks are allowed. That extends to both noobies and people that have been around a while.

Attack points, not people.

Dan

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
Can't wait to see multiple "winter" UOAs when cold start torture occurs. Was the pour point listed in the VOA section yet? Lets see multiple 10-12k change UOAs. Also, where are the turbo/supercharged engine 0w30 UOAs? track bandits/racers UOAs?

Please name ANY oil that has been used by forum members that meets all these criteria you are throwing out for Castrol Syntec 0w30 to meet. Good grief...
rolleyes.gif

[ October 11, 2003, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: G-Man II ]

G-Man,

You are right, to meet all those requirements, one would have to have the mythic super-oil. Oils are better today than they have ever been, but there is no way one oil can meet every requirement listed. There are trade-offs.

I would be highly suspicious of any oil that would advertise it could go 15k change intervals and was also good for racing at very high rpm. The two just dont work together in my opinion.

Dan

Until the GC.....I never bought a castrol oil product (I have used their engine degreaser and wheel cleaner). I used havoline synthetic for many years, until I found out that it was a GIII. I am quite angry at castrol for starting that crap, but I am willing to give them a second chance, if they start producing some truly wonderfuls oils. GC, might be world-class. I have many many bottles of it to try in my own vehicles, and I truly hope that it is wonderful. Marketing and cost-cutting, have fooled many consumers. Most people out there, think that valvoline is the best conventional oil on the market.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Isn't the term "fake synthetic" an oxymoron anyways?

Ha ha, No! It's NOT fake Synthetic, you DON'T want it.
One point that blew past is that some cars (mine) came WITH SLX from the factory. (crickets chirping) Umm, it would indeed take more than a stranger's grudge to make me re-consider using Castrol over the engineers who built my car.

Otherwise, I am not personally bashing anyone, it's just at ~other~ forums there is a word for people with a couple of posts who chime in and smear reputable products for no apparent reason other than a grudge. It's not a dirty word, it is just used to alert other people of the intent of the poster, again -not a smear.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
Until the GC.....I never bought a castrol oil product ...I am quite angry at castrol for starting that crap, but I am willing to give them a second chance, if they start producing some truly wonderfuls oils. GC, might be world-class.
...Marketing and cost-cutting, have fooled many consumers.

I made a point of NOT buying Castrol but will get the German Castrol. Seems that on the marketing & cost-cutting issue, the pendulum has swung the other way. I imagion that some Castrol exec got on the phone and ordered some top-notch stuff and the usual bull was finally cast aside. No one can say if that's what happened, but if a company makes crap for years (some would argue this of any of "The Big 3") and then comes out with something top-notch (enter most impressive "Big 3" car of '03 or '04, in your opinion) why avoid that product because they made junk in the past?
In fact, maybe make a point of getting it!? That's what I'll be doing.
Regards
Rob

The problem I have with the whole thing is that this oil is made out to be something phenomenal when reality is it's not. Why search all over the place for this oil? It's kind of ridiculous don't you think? I like the oil and would use it but I'm not going to go craze over it when I can buy Amsoil/Mobil 1 anywhere. There are people that are just joining this forum and probably wondering what the **** everyone is doing looking for this German Liverwurst. It's not some miracle oil and it's not worth the hassle IMO. Hey, whatever floats your boat. If you like the hunt of GC, go for it and have a good time.
cheers.gif

[ October 11, 2003, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Does Castrol make good products? Probably. That is not the issue here. Does SLX come as a factory fill in some cars? Sure it does! Is GC a good oil? Kind of looks that way...! The issue is simply one of ethics.

Do you feel deceived (or care?) that Castrol Syntec (and others!) is/are a GRP III oil?

If not, well ignore this entire topic; easy enough, right?

My point is that it was Castrol who started the whole "What is a synthetic oil, anyway?" Mobil felt strongly enough about it to actually challenge their advertising through the NAD (National Advertising Division of the BBB...and note this wasn't really a "court" case)
They lost, but may have been happy with the result anyway, in that a great deal of info about Castrol Syntec was revealed.

An old saying says: Don't bite the hand that feeds you; I add: Don't pet the _____ that bites you!

Just one opinion; Agree or disagree... thats YOUR choice!

Good topic...??? Lots of other opinions here; and isn't that the point?

Lets move on now................................!

One last thing...maybe we should thank Castrol for encouraging auto manufacturers to tighten up their oil spec. requirements. Someone involved with the original Mobil vs. Castrol ad dispute said:

"...it will force more performance-driven specifications in the market and the term 'synthetic' will become meaningless."

Are we seeing that now...with the BMW and Mercedes (and others) new oil specifications??

Isn't this another way to tell "good" Syntec from "maybe not quite as good Syntec" Check the label for these Euro approvals...kind of ironic?

As I reflect on this thread, the thing that draws a line under the whole issue for me, is that, in a world where companies who make products you probably buy are accused of doing some terrible things to PEOPLE (e.g. operating sweatshops, negatively impacting local economies), a company that "creatively" applies the term "synthetic" is not one that causes me great moral concern. If some of you are so concerned with ethics, quit buying Nike stuff and anything brought to market by ConAgra; then I might think you are REALLY serious about this issue, even though in my mind it is trivial. Oh yes, you might want to stop shopping at Wal-Mart too.

[ October 11, 2003, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

o one can say if that's what happened, but if a company makes crap for years (some would argue this of any of "The Big 3") and then comes out with something top-notch (enter most impressive "Big 3" car of '03 or '04, in your opinion) why avoid that product because they made junk in the past?
In fact, maybe make a point of getting it!? That's what I'll be doing.

I'll take a new Ford GT, please
grin.gif

And I've never been a Ford guy
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TSoA:
......to make me pour out my 50 or so bottles of GC.

gr_eek2.gif
gr_eek2.gif
gr_eek2.gif
gr_eek2.gif
gr_eek2.gif

PScholte,
Unless you post your numbers ASAP, I will be forced to give the "Oil Nutz" trophy to TSoa here!
Rick
cheers.gif

pscholte, it's not really the issue with me. My issue with Castrol is that they don't give you what your paying for. Syntec is garbage and costs about as much as Mobil 1. They also have poor quality control as they don't know or do know, what is going on with GC. I like to buy from a company that I know what I'm getting. It's not ethics, its product reliability and consistency. I could care less about the other **** . There are tons of companies that have this problem but there are many that don't. Mobil 1 is well respected as is Toyota. When you buy a Toyota you know your getting good quality, when you buy a Ford, you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back