Boy Scout popcorn sales- when greed kills the goose

Status
Not open for further replies.
As to girls in the BSA… I was originally put off by the idea, as Girl Scouts already exists. However, after talking to a fellow Scout dad who put his daughter in Cub Scouts, I could see the reasoning. His son was doing camping trips, learning about survival and first aid, home improvement, auto maintenance, and building useful items, while his daughter in Girl Scouts was making crafts/doing home ec., and selling cookies. I’m pretty old fashioned for someone born in 1982, but if I had a daughter, I’d be teaching her to change tires, oil, etc.

I was in Cub Scouts for a couple of years in the mid 1980s.

The dads were rarely involved. Most of the time the "den mothers" were teaching us things that mothers tend to know, which is usually not survival and first aid, home improvement, auto maintenance, or that type of thing.

I didn't find it to be particularly interesting and didn't continue.

As to girls in the BSA… I was originally put off by the idea, as Girl Scouts already exists. However, after talking to a fellow Scout dad who put his daughter in Cub Scouts, I could see the reasoning. His son was doing camping trips, learning about survival and first aid, home improvement, auto maintenance, and building useful items, while his daughter in Girl Scouts was making crafts/doing home ec., and selling cookies. I’m pretty old fashioned for someone born in 1982, but if I had a daughter, I’d be teaching her to change tires, oil, etc.

That's rather sad, girls should have the exact same opportunities as boys. In the UK girls have been fully integrated in scouts since 1991 and there are no separate girl scout groups. In my time as leader in the 80's/90's there were few girls involved but I suspect numbers have increased as it's now compulsory for all scout groups to have the necessary provisions in place to admit girls.

I was cutting grass or other hard jobs for cash while my fiends were in Scouts …
None of them now make what I do …

I was cutting grass or other hard jobs for cash while my fiends were in Scouts …
None of them now make what I do …
As a former Scout, I would be careful making generalizations like that.

One of the scouts from my troop went to Princeton, got his MBA at Harvard, and does very, very well.

That's rather sad, girls should have the exact same opportunities as boys. In the UK girls have been fully integrated in scouts since 1991 and there are no separate girl scout groups. In my time as leader in the 80's/90's there were few girls involved but I suspect numbers have increased as it's now compulsory for all scout groups to have the necessary provisions in place to admit girls.
What’s sad is that Scouting was a UK phenomenon and it took you 80 years to allow girls the same opportunities.

The Boy Scouts of America was founded in 1910, following Sir Baden-Powell’s lead.

Girl Scouts of America was founded by Juliette Gordon Low in 1912, it was organized after Low met Robert Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting, in 1911.

80 years before you afforded any kind of equal opportunity.

Sir Baden Powell himself founded Girl Guides in about 1910, so perhaps the UK did acknowledge, on a limited basis, the value of girls, but it was very different than scouting.

I do buy Girl Scout cookies when they ask me if I want to buy some, they had a table in front of Publix.

Young girl says to me that ”most men like our peanut butter cookies“….

I bought 2 boxes of peanut butter and 1 box of lemon cookies. 😋

Thanks for the tip, think I'll wait for Girl Scout cookies if I can afford them.

Girls and boys must have separate units, with separate leaders. There are all boy troops and all girl troops, not combined troops.
Cubs scouts have combined packs, but each den must be single sex. Cub Scouts are aged 5 to 10 years old, and typically don't camp overnight.
But are these girls in the "Boy Scouts"? Yes! See, that's the issue!

If you're going to have mixed gender scouting, call them the "Scouts". And then align Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts by gender. What is so offensive about that?

If we really want to go down this route, combine men's and women's athletics and compete as one. After all, we're all human, right? So let's compete as humans. The heck with the male/female thing. You will NEVER see a woman set another world record or stand on an Olympic Games podium. All their past records will be eclipsed within weeks or months.

Scott

Edit: To the OP, $25 is ridiculous. I would have paid it with mock surprise to avoid embarrassing the young person. But never again. Whenever our boys had a school fundraiser I always bought a box or two of their stuff and gave it away at work. I've never liked young people being used for fundraisers. It manipulative IMO. Using bright eyed young people for fundraisers is the way they silently shame you if you decline.

Last edited:
It's unfortunate that the Scouts are not like it used be when I was in it. Don't even get me started on girl scouts - I won't buy their cookies or support them in any way. I can't say anymore due to politics. I would have been willing to pay up to $5 for that popcorn but no more.

I do buy Girl Scout cookies when they ask me if I want to buy some, they had a table in front of Publix.

Young girl says to me that ”most men like our peanut butter cookies“….

I bought 2 boxes of peanut butter and 1 box of lemon cookies. 😋

But are these girls in the "Boy Scouts"? Yes! See, that's the issue!

If you're going to have mixed gender scouting, call them the "Scouts". And then align Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts by gender. What is so offensive about that?

If we really want to go down this route, combine men's and women's athletics and compete as one. After all, we're all human, right? So let's compete as humans. The heck with the male/female thing. You will NEVER see a woman set another world record or stand on an Olympic Games podium. All their past records will be eclipsed within weeks or months.
So, the Boy Scouts of America is now called Scouts BSA. Boys and Girls are aligned by gender. There are boy troops, and there are girls troops. There are no mixed gender troops. Each troop has it's own leadership structure. (Mr. Jones can't be scoutmaster for a boy and girl troop at the same time, nor can Mrs. Smith)
A charter organization (church, VFW post, etc) can charter both a boy and a girl troop, but they are separate entities and have their own leaders, and are not allowed to combine their meetings.

I don't see why it's such a big deal to allow girls to have the same opportunities that boys have?

So, the Boy Scouts of America is now called Scouts BSA. Boys and Girls are aligned by gender. There are boy troops, and there are girls troops. There are no mixed gender troops. Each troop has it's own leadership structure. (Mr. Jones can't be scoutmaster for a boy and girl troop at the same time, nor can Mrs. Smith)
A charter organization (church, VFW post, etc) can charter both a boy and a girl troop, but they are separate entities and have their own leaders, and are not allowed to combine their meetings.

I don't see why it's such a big deal to allow girls to have the same opportunities that boys have?
I'm all for equal opportunities. That's why girls have the GIRL Scouts.

And the name change to Scouts BSA - what is "BSA" supposed to mean? It's nothing more than word smithing to satisfy an agenda.

Question for you, what are the Girl Scouts called today? Last time I bought cookies from them it was the Girl Scouts. Why is that? Are boys allowed in the Girl Scouts? No, they are not. Where are these "same opportunities" you talk about?

Scott

Last edited:
My Granddaughter sells Girl Scout Cookies . That's the only reason we buy any . And we usually max out at 4 boxes .

I'm all for equal opportunities. That's why girls have the GIRL Scouts.

And the name change to Scouts BSA - what is "BSA" supposed to mean? It's nothing more than word smithing to satisfy an agenda.

Question for you, what are the Girl Scouts called today? Last time I bought cookies from them it was the Girl Scouts. Why is that? Are boys allowed in the Girl Scouts? No, they are not. Where are these "same opportunities" you talk about?

Scott

The same opportunities... Girls can do the same things boys are doing. Learn the same subjects. Learn the same principals. Participate in the same activities. Girl Scouts is not the same as Boy Scouts in the same way that the YMCA is not the same as LA Fitness. Sure, there is some overlap between the two, but each offers things that the other doesn't.

Girls can chose to join one, the other, both, or neither.

Seems like an awful lot of angst here over nothing.

The same opportunities... Girls can do the same things boys are doing. Learn the same subjects. Learn the same principals. Participate in the same activities. Girl Scouts is not the same as Boy Scouts in the same way that the YMCA is not the same as LA Fitness. Sure, there is some overlap between the two, but each offers things that the other doesn't.

Girls can chose to join one, the other, both, or neither.

Seems like an awful lot of angst here over nothing.
Yet boys have the choice of joining only one, or neither. Are these the "same opportunities" you speak of?

Scott

Yet boys have the choice of joining only one, or neither. Are these the "same opportunities" you speak of?

Scott
Yeah, well, that's on the Girl Scouts, a separate organization that actually sued the Scouts BSA in an effort to prevent them from letting girls join. If you want to join the Girl Scouts, then I guess you can take it up with them?

Last edited:
I just donate money now and dispense with the substandard products, and only because my friends kids are involved.

Never understood why the girl scouts didnt offer a similar curriculum to the boy scouts, and vice versa.

Life experience and learning shouldn't be tied to gender, instead we have lawsuits to force inclusion, but for some reason it's still only one way?

I just donate money now and dispense with the substandard products, and only because my friends kids are involved.

Never understood why the girl scouts didnt offer a similar curriculum to the boy scouts, and vice versa.

Life experience and learning shouldn't be tied to gender, instead we have lawsuits to force inclusion, but for some reason it's still only one way?
Exactly.

Scott

Boy Scout troop in my neighborhood cooks BBQ and sells it (pork is the only BBQ we recognized around here) They cook countless pigs in the church parking lot for several days on 4-6 pits before the sell-off. Theirs goes for $10/lb and I buy 5 pounds. They always sellout and the 'que is **** good.

Interesting find direct off a google search. I did not validate, verify, nor accredit its accuracy, but if accurate, not a bad salary for Indianapolis.

These salaries do not appear to include senior executives.

Weaver Fundraising Salaries

How much do Weaver Fundraising employees earn on average in the United States?
Weaver Fundraising pays an average salary of $197,659 and salaries range from a low of $174,469 to a high of $223,383. Individual salaries will, of course, vary depending on the job, department, location, as well as the individual skills and education of each employee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back